Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I've noticed a slight occasional knock from the front of the car while driving. It's pretty quiet and seems to do it on flat roads or over grids, manhole covers, etc.

After a bit of searching it sounds like the anti rollbar needs replacing (or at least the bushes) would you agree? Also if it is that where's the best place to get one?

Thanks,
Matt

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Either rollbar or lower wishbones :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool cheers, is there a way to check what it is from under the car or is it just a case of replace the anti-roll bar and if that doesn't fix it do the wishbones? Also would dodgy droplinks cause the same knocking?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Usually it is the ARB bushes that go - the rubber starts to give way and they get loose.

If you replace the ARB then you will normally have to replace the drop links at the same time as they can be a problem to get off.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
You can safely (although sometimes not easily) remove the droplinks to the ARB, take it for a drive to see if the noise goes away.

If it does go away it's either the droplinks or the ARB. If it's the droplinks the movement in the balljoints should be obvious, if the drop links feel OK it'll be the ARB. If the noise doesn't go away you need to look elsewhere.

All the best

Pub

G

·
0 Posts
First and most probable cause is the AR bar drop links... The longer you leave them, the more movement on the AR bar bushes...
Don't muck about with spanners, sockets etc... The chances are you will end up very frustrated trying to remove the old nuts after two hours.
Carefullly use an angle grinder with a cutting disc, You will have the old drop links off and the new ones on in a matter of minutes... They aren't expensive and a good place to start eliminating knocks...

Now... one of my bug bears... Bloody AR bushes and the blase' regard to recommendation to "oh, just change them" Err.. not as easy as it looks and the pay off simply isn't worth the effort or cost... If the drop links are doing their jobs then the AR bar is too... regardless of if it knocks, its a comfort issue on the ears

The simplest fix that I have found is to: Using a tube of Black Hardening type of Urethane Sealant (from general hardware stores like Jewsons etc.)and inject it into the gaps of the rubber bush, leave it to harden for 24 hrs (as long as you can really but 12hrs is acceptable), job done and you won't have to do it again.
To make it easier, try getting a hyperdermic syringe and needle for accurate application.

It hardens with the same density of a solid rubber engine mount gripping the bar!
Lets face it, if you ever need to replace the bar, you will have to cut the old bushes and clamps off anyway and replace them so worth doing IMO.
I once beefed up a S1 RS turbo bottom gearbox mount that kept failing with this stuff... was still going strong seven years later!
For those headshakers, dont knock if you haven't used it!

There is an easy way and a long way to most things with Alfa's:thumbs:

Simple, although many will over complicate the issue, a little bit of lateral thinking goes a long way instead of following what someone else does and thinking thats the only way to cure an issue!:rolleyes:
http://www.5starautobodyproducts.com/pro_seal/urethane_seal.html

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Grahameo I'm loving your thinking mate!

Well I swapped out the drop links (good tip about the grinder by the way) and noticed the roll bar was closer to the passenger side sus than the drivers side. Is that a sign of worn bushes or something else (maybe a clamp that keeps it centered)? I persuaded it back to center-ish and the knocking went away for 10 mins or so but soon came back, making me think it's shifted again.

Time for the sealant? Or mount tightening? Or both?

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
The mounts do not tighten - try the sealant route if that works please let us know - if it don't it could be a new ARB or if you can get the mounts apart you can powerflex them

1 - 9 of 9 Posts