Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kwik Fit are running a promotion on Pirrelli tyres - 30% off if you buy all 4.

So the P6000's that would have normally cost £400, now cost £280 (£70 each).

The P7's are £73.50 each.

Didn't sound too bad until they add fitting charge, tyre valves, tyre disposal charge, breathing charge, hearbeat charge etc...

Anywhere else a good place for tyres? Always been curious about those 'online' tyre places, but never used them.

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
I've used both blackcircles and mytyres and would have no problem in using either of them again.

Stay away from Pirelli P6000s though, they're about as much use as donuts!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeh? I had them on my old ford focus, and they suited the car very well. obviously the alfa is much higher performance though, so do they limit the car?

Are the P7's any good?

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
P6000s have been around for years so are hardly the cutting edge of tyre design. They're also made from a hard compound of rubber which means they last for ages but don't grip very well.

I replaced the P6000s on my first 156 with P7s and while they were better they still weren't fantastic.

If you want to stick with Pirelli I would recommend P Zero Nero or alternatively Dunlop Sport Maxx. Both of which I have had on my current 156.

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Kwit fit could offer me 70% off and I still wouldn't use them

I dont use Pirellis anyway....

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fair enough. I actually had more left on the tyres than initally thought - around 4mm on the front, and around 6mm on the rear.

When it becomes time to change, what are good options? I have the 2.0 sport pack, and my driving will be a mix of city, countryside blasts, and maybe to odd trip to a track / nurbugring, (though rare and far between, so will be completely on road setup)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
The Pirelli P6000's are not the grippiest of tyres (in fact not at all), in the wet they are all over place, which leads to lots of fun...and danger (MX5 - RWD) :cool:

Best bet are Eagle F1 GSD3, otherwise Uniroyal Rainsport 1's are very good (in fact rated slightly higher than F1's from memory).

I have only ever used Eagle's on all of my Alfa's

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I use Toyo Proxes T1R

Very Very grippy.

Thought the GSD3 are no longer made now, been replaced by Eagle F1 Asymmetric?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Gotta disagree! I love P6000's. Its the best balance of grip and rubber hardness I've found in a tyre. Eagles and Zeros are super grippy (both in the wet and dry), but don't last very long.

Yokos are quite good too?

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Thought the GSD3 are no longer made now, been replaced by Eagle F1 Asymmetric?
You can still get the GSD's. I got a pair last week from Bracknell Tyres (205/55/16) £120 the pair all in.:D

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
So the P6000's that would have normally cost £400, now cost £280 (£70 each).
205/55R16 P6000s: V-rated £66.48 each, W-rated £73.24 each fully fitted from BlackCircles and I think we might get an extra discount ....

But like a few others have pointed out they don't really match the 156 ...

I've never used Kwik-fit since standing outside waiting and watching they "fitter" bashing clip-on balance weights onto a alloy wheel ... :rant:

·
Registered
772 Posts
I swear by Toyo T1Rs, just brilliant. Got my last ones a week ago from Camskill, quite a bit cheaper than MyTyres who I had been using previously, 205/55/16 at £54 each incl VAT and delivery.

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
I swear by Toyo T1Rs, just brilliant. Got my last ones a week ago from Camskill, quite a bit cheaper than MyTyres who I had been using previously, 205/55/16 at £54 each incl VAT and delivery.
They are very good. I had them on my twin spark.

The michelin pilot sport 2's are also excellent and a bit more expensive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts