Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
is it a manual override or something for the gear selection in the event of the electronics or car locking it in park say?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hey, I've got one of those as well - never noticed it before.

Mine has a bit if cord across it, which presumably releases something in an emergency. Behind it the box has a key-like thing that I suppose turns something on or off, after some event turned whatever it is off or on.

I'll check the book. Edit: No. No indication in either the Owners Manual, nor the Qtronic book.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks very much for that.I was in the unfortunate position that I didn't receive any manuals with the car or a spare key.Have downloaded the standard 159 & blue & me manual but didn't know there was a separate one for QTronic. Now all I have to do is sort out a spare key which appears to be VERY expensive.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Thanks very much for that.I was in the unfortunate position that I didn't receive any manuals with the car or a spare key.Have downloaded the standard 159 & blue & me manual but didn't know there was a separate one for QTronic. Now all I have to do is sort out a spare key which appears to be VERY expensive.
Thanks for your help.
not sure(can't chec right now) , but seems to me that if you buy any used key, you can program it in using MES.not sure alo if you would or wouldn't need card code for this procedure. of course you wont have that mechanical key compatible, but over nearly 7 years i never had need to use it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yes I have that on mine, and its in my 2008 manual. I also need a spare key though. I don't think you can just buy a spare and have it reprogrammed. Be pleased to be proved wrong though as it looks expensive!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Yes I have that on mine, and its in my 2008 manual. I also need a spare key though. I don't think you can just buy a spare and have it reprogrammed. Be pleased to be proved wrong though as it looks expensive!
OK, need to correct last statement I made. By curiosity I did quick check on polish alfa romeo forum(alfaholicy.org), and in short it is not that easy I thought. Yes, MES has option to program in new key, but only theorethical -in practice that does not work on 159 as far as other forum members said:( There was info that Alfa OBD works better, but after whole procedure only immobiliser works OK (you can start engine), but you can't get central locking to work - for this as emergency solution easiest option is to get the mechanical key copied somewhere and open manually the car.

But, the guy who developed DPF monitor (I think it is the sam guy, and on AO forum is under ECULab nick), last year sorted out the way how to program any used key, and allow full functionality. As far as I know he charges around EUR150 for this service (and you do not need key code card), but the car needs to be left with him for one day, what taking into account fact his workshop is in Poland, won't be any use for most of you guys. The other option is to order through AR dealer - in Poland, new key cost is around EUR300 + around EUR50 if you do not have code card (which needs to be first obtained), though there were reported cases that some dealers mentioned EUR700 for that service for some reason.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts