Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this topic has already been discussed. I have a 19 jtdm and was wondering about using this product, been on line and there's alot of fors and againsts. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
30,297 Posts
If you use the correct oil, anything you need in the oil is already in it.

·
Registered
530 Posts
If you use the correct oil, anything you need in the oil is already in it.
And change it frequently - every 6000 miles.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Slick 50 is ( as are all other oil additives ) in my personal opinion complete crap. I do not work for or have any links to any similar or rival companies, and to believe that there are deficiencies in the oils of Major reputable companies such as Mobil, Millers or Castrol that can be put right simply by adding something to them which they couldn't add themselves in the factory is naive to say the least. That they may slightly improve the performance of dirt cheap supermarket oils is just about conceivable but it would be cheaper in the long rum just to buy a good quality oil.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Slick and most similar date from the 1960's when 20W/50 multigrade mineral oil was a state-of-the-art product. They may have helped some then. I built a tuned and modified engine in the early 1970's and it was then regarded as good practice to coat cams, followers and newly rebored cylinders etc in a 50/50 mix of Slick and oil because it tended to stay in place rather than run off components whilst the engine was being built, so the motor didn't start life dry. Whether it did any good I don't know, but it didn't do any harm.

However modern synthetics and component tolerances are so far in advance of what we had then, that good oils are now astonishingly good. What's not so good is that those improvements - the fact that synthetics just don't break down at temperatures that murdered mineral oil in 3-6,000 mls - have been seized as a marketing opportunity to enable extended change periods. The oil is still good after 12 or 18k as a lubricant, but - as ever - accumulates a burden of carbon, metals, acids and water that eventually make it a source of wear, corrosion, gum and varnish. No additive can fix that, at least not without compromising other qualities.

The sole class of pour-in additives that can still be useful now is detergents, that can dissolve and remove gum and varnish deposits back into the oil. Which is what flushing additives do, with the expectation that they're used briefly immediately before an oil change to get rid of the crap. Most specify 10 or 20mins max, idling only, because the detergents badly degrade the oil as a lubricant. Which is why, although all motor oils contain detergents, they only contain a small amount. Flush additives work effectively, for that one specific purpose, but even then they're a bit controversial because in theory they can loosen solidified deposits that could cause problems by blocking oilways etc. I've never heard of that actually happening, but it could. And there is a benefit of removing gum and varnish, especially if the engine has had neglected oil changes in the past, which itself can restrict oilways, can cause sticky operation of components like valve gear.

As everyone else has said: use good synthetic oil, change it at sensible periods, 3,5 or 6,000 mls depending on how fastidious you want to be, and most engines now will last as long as the vehicle, barring poor design or materials, component failures and owner abuse that aren't oil-related.

·
Registered
30,297 Posts
I built a tuned and modified engine in the early 1970's and it was then regarded as good practice to coat cams, followers and newly rebored cylinders etc in a 50/50 mix of Slick and oil because it tended to stay in place rather than run off components whilst the engine was being built, so the motor didn't start life dry. Whether it did any good I don't know, but it didn't do any harm.
There are specific "Assembly Lubes" for that now that spread on like jam. :thumbu p:
i.e.: Red Line Synthetic Oil - Grease and Assembly Lube - Assembly Lube

1 - 8 of 8 Posts