Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Slave cylinder issue on 156 TS

789 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  carlodigiorgio 
#1 ·
My 156 TS Veloce 2001 has a problem with inserting any gear when engine in ON:cry:. I read the post of "celadon" related to the leaking which could be also the problem although on my 156 I haven't noticed any l fluids on the parking space.

I checked and topped up the brake and clutch fluid which might not flow down, thus causing the harshness of inserting gears.

Could any member with knowledge of the 156 indicate whereabout the slave cyliner is located for me to have a look at it and do some first hand maintenance following the example given by "celadon" and then take the car to an Alfa repairer.

Thanks in advance for any help and/or advice.

#2 ·
The slave cylinder is inside the clutch bellhousing, its concentric with the release bearing so its possible that any fluid leaking out is collecting at the bottom of the clutch housing which is why you cannot see it dripping on the floor. Unfortunately the gearbox has to come off to change it.

#3 ·
HI Rockhopper!

Wow! Thank you very much for the prompt note. Being that the case, I am not fit to undertake such inspection. My concern is how to get on the road now that the problem has become so acute. Days ago I was able to drive to London (45 Miles) without any problems but on my way back home the situation changed and since then I don't dare to drive out on the road.
At least I know now what to do. Rescue by RAC mitght be the solution.
All the best to you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.