Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just spent about half an hour trying to remove the clutch slave cylinder!
Following the trusty haynes manual i first tried to remove the pipe with 12 mm spanner but the nut is pritty soft and rusty and has just rounded the edges! so wont come off. So thought i will remove the whole cylinder then her a better grip on the nut but that damn circlip is a t*#t! Anyone got any ideas or is it just that fiddley to do!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
'Fraid so. I buggered up a perfectly good circlip trying to fit my slave cylinder, and that was with new parts!

Part of the problem is the gearbox bellhousing gets in the way, so even if you have proper circlip pliers, you still have to withdraw the cylinder at the same time as spreading the clip. Not an easy job, particularly if the cylinder has rusted in.

You might have to sacrifice a circlip to get the cylinder out. I finally managed to replace the cylinder by getting a helper to jiggle the cylinder into place while I spread the circlip on the other side of the hole. Depending on the casting tolerance of the bellhousing, you won't have enough room to insert the clip with the cylinder in place.

Good luck!

Lauren

·
Registered
178 Posts
It's all very easy when you know how. I wrote an article in the owner's club mag a couple of years ago and there is a post on Alfa-pages.co.uk if you search for it there. Am in a rush at mo'.

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
I dont recomend you take out the slave cylinder. Not an easy job due to access.
Its even harder to put it back in.

I have a suggestion. I've done this in the past when I had the same problem. Take your dizzy out - mark it before you take it out - so you can make clearance.
Use that tool the plumbers use to connect pipes - sorry I dont know the english name for this tool - and unscrew that rounded bolt. Then you can replace it.:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
when i have replaced them in the past, i cant remember having that much of a problem. does that actually mean that there is someone out there with worse luck than me.?:lol:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well got some circlip pliers for 5 quid with changeable ends. Bargain i thought! What a load of crap! they only open wide enough just to get the two prongs in the clip and then not enough to spread the clip atall! So yes there is someone with worse luck then you! Then went to halfords and theirs were 10 quid a pair and looked just as small! now what do i do! Think i have realized i am crap at this home mechanics.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the damn thing out but had to sacrifice the circlip! Anyone know what size i need as a replacement?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah got a spare clip off steve parry and borrowed his circlip pliers! What a difference having a good set of pliers was got it installed in about 5 mins. Works a treat! Thanks for everyones help. My advice for anyone doing it in the future is when installing it first pput the clip in position then slide the cylinder in to place as the circlip actually sits in a groove on the back of the bellhousing .

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Yes, that's what I was getting at before - there is not enough clearance around the cylinder to put the circlip over it - the clip fouls the bellhousing. You have to put the clip into the gap first, spread it and then jiggle the cylinder through. After spending 4 hours trying to do it the wrong way, it took me 5 minutes to do it right (with a helper of course :D).

Glad it all went well in the end!

Lauren

1 - 14 of 14 Posts