Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Brera 2.2JTS, but without skyview roof (it comes with crystal roof though). Is it possible to make the skyview without spending a massive amount of money??

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Should be easy enough - Has been discussed before by Brera S owners but unsure if anyone had it done. A retrimmer should be able to cut roof lining and form a tiidy edge to reveal the glass. No need for the blind anyway - I leave mine open all the time.

N

·
0 Posts
You'd roast without the blind in summer.

Cheaper and easier to change cars I'd have
thought.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Just realised you are in Spain toni, as Nev says maybe not such a good idea!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I hate to spoil the party but the non skyview glass isn't clear or even tinted its enameled so you can not see through it :( if it wasn't you would see the headlining through it in bright sunlight so getting the headlining replaced wont be enough you will need a new roof panel too :( and id expect the cost to make the job pointless, much easier to buy a sv Brera, ive never understood why Alfa offered a non sv option that still had a glass roof :rolleyes:

N

·
0 Posts
I hate to spoil the party but the non skyview glass isn't clear or even tinted its enameled so you can not see through it :(
What makes you say that?

My Skyview looks totally black from the outside if
the blind is closed. :confused:

·
Registered
200 Posts
What makes you say that?

My Skyview looks totally black from the outside if
the blind is closed. :confused:
Because ive been fitting glass for the past 14 years lol :lol: Yes the standard SV roof has a tint (darkened) but ive inspected a Brera S with non skyview roof and the glass appears to be enameled (inside of the glass is painted) this was under the bright showroom lights but i guess the only way to be sure is if someone takes the plunge and removes there headlining ;)

I still cant beleive that Alfa can sell the Brera with a glass roof and charge you extra to have a blind fitted :tut:
surely the cost is in the glass and bodywork itself why not make it standard across the range if they had id be driving around in a Brera S now but there's no way id buy one without the SV roof :confused:

N

·
0 Posts
Fair enough. I've only ever seen a metal topped non-SV Brera.

'Though as I said, the standard SV roof looks really black under most lighting
with the blind drawn. You can't even see the blind. (Another reason to get a black Brera. ;))
Enough so that you can't see the actual black border on the inside of the SV
roof glass that is 5" wide at the long edges.

Having a different part for the roof glass also kind of negates the reason they
canned the metal top Brera which I assume was for cost cutting purposes.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
I hate to spoil the party but the non skyview glass isn't clear or even tinted its enameled so you can not see through it :(
Yes the standard SV roof has a tint (darkened) but ive inspected a Brera S with non skyview roof and the glass appears to be enameled (inside of the glass is painted) this was under the bright showroom lights but i guess the only way to be sure is if someone takes the plunge and removes there headlining ;)
Though as I said, the standard SV roof looks really black under most lighting with the blind drawn. You can't even see the blind. Having a different part for the roof glass also kind of negates the reason they canned the metal top Brera which I assume was for cost cutting purposes.
I am with Nev on this I am sure it will be same panel, simply lined over. No need to enamel it - Why would they!?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I am with Nev on this I am sure it will be same panel, simply lined over. No need to enamel it - Why would they!?
Well id be pretty annoyed if i bought a non sv Brera and could see the headlining through the glass :lol: is it realy that hard a job to peel back the headlining near the door and take a peek :confused: if it is just tinted glass the some nice interior trimmer could make some serious cash converting non sv models :cool:

But I'm still not convinced that it will be just tinted as does leave the possibility that enough light will get through to see something the other side or let light out ? i can imagine there is a possibility that with a full headlining some light from the interior lights could creep out through the rear of the fitting towards the glass and on a dark night would look rather stupid from the outside ive not got a Brera to check so I'm just using my experience of glass from a commercial point of view :thumbs: and id love to be proved wrong so that all you non sv Brera drivers can enjoy the sun this summer while im driving around with my roof down :lol:

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Fair enough - We will have to wait on someone prooving what is under that head lining but as Nev says you see nothing of the blind or interior lights through the roof panel on the SV when blind closed.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
ive never understood why Alfa offered a non sv option that still had a glass roof :rolleyes:
Cost savings I think - to make a metal roofed Brera they would have to design, mould and manufacture an entirely new body section for the roof. The cost would be unjustifiable, and the Brera has such high rigidity already that you wouldn't get much improvement. Apparently the glass roofs don't weight much either.

*edit* I forgot that Nev has seen a tin top Brera in France - we've never had one in the UK AFAIK, I still reckon it's something to do with cost efficiencies in the production line - one set of robots making all the bodies identically, probably.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Originally Posted by Alfa 4eva View Post

"I hate to spoil the party but the non skyview glass isn't clear or even tinted its enameled so you can not see through it"

Sorry mate but you're wrong! I've got a Brera S and have had the roof lining back and guess what....It's tinted!

·
Registered
4,150 Posts

"I hate to spoil the party but the non skyview glass isn't clear or even tinted its enameled so you can not see through it"

Sorry mate but you're wrong! I've got a Brera S and have had the roof lining back and guess what....It's tinted!
:thumbs: Good man, I knew that would be the case! :)

·
Registered
200 Posts

Well unfortunately for me this poses more questions than it answers :confused: The main one being we the ****** would they put a fixed head lining on something that already has everything else needed to make it an sv???? if i owned one of these then id feel a bit ripped off by this and tbh it was the main reason i didn't by a S as it was lacking in kit i think if it had been specced up to a similar level to the Spider LE/159ti then the dealers still wouldn't be trying to shift a limited edition a year later, because they would all be sold :lol:

But hey im glad that i was wrong you guys now can get out there find a sv headlining and enoy the sun :)

Just a quick question when you peeked through the headlining what kind of insulation was up there??? As in my line of work glass not exposed to airflow both sides (eg;glass lookalike panel) is enamelled and coated with insulation to stop condensation build up one of the main reasons i assumed (hoped) the glass was enamelled.

N

·
0 Posts
It's a bean counter cost cutting exercise.

They were not shifting many tin top Breras
so some accountant must have worked out
that it'd be cheaper to nix them and use
SV body shells instead.

·
Registered
257 Posts
It does my head in too! I'm fed up of people saying 'Oooh it's got a glass roof!', then looking through the window to see what it looks like from inside........ Then comes the question.... 'Why is the roof lined when you've got a glass roof?!'

I'm seriously looking to find a professional 'trimmer' to cut the lining back and finish it off nicely without it looking like a bodge job... I was thinking maybe a firm that fits sunroofs so they'll have experience with this sort of job.

I'll keep you posted!

N

·
0 Posts
Early on I was chatting with another Brera driver (who was on his bike)
at a set of lights and he was convinced my Brera didn't have
a glass roof. I had to open the blind to prove it.

Black is best. ;) (His was silver.)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts