Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anybody has skype or has used it, im going to work in germany from june (not my choice), and my partner is staying in the uk and is pregnant, so im looking for a cheap and easy way to stay in contact, i will have internet where i am going.
Also does it only work if connected to your internet connection, or can it be used as a mobile device?

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
We use it almost exclusively for inmternational business communications with only occasional problems.

If either PC is marginal on processing power or memory you can get some intermittent hiccups, or if you are doing some processor intensive stuff that affects things sometimes.

But most of the time it is great.

Depending on your mobile device then I think there's an iphone app coming, otherwise google for your device. You will need a data / 3G connection as you are effectively transferring data.

N

·
0 Posts
Get a local PAYG SIM and use JAJAH which
you can install on your phone and set up
to initiate cheap calls via SMS without having
to have a PC and internet connection.

It's not free, but it is very cheap and better that
than sounding like you're trying to use a CB whilst
drowning in a bucket of custard. Over.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input, didnt realise the sound quality was that bad, iv found on the 3 website you can by a moblie version for £88.00 which bye the sound of it, it dont need to be near your computer its just like a mobile phone, and if you call another skype user or text another skype user its completly free. If its that easy why do we still pay for normal mobile contracts ha ha.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I also use Skype a lot. I'm airline crew & use it to call home from all over the world. Currently stuck in Mexico city!!
Skype to Skype (ie you use a laptop from germany & call the mrs on your home computer) is free.
Skype-out, ie you on a laptop in Germany calling a land line in the UK costs a fraction of a penny a minute.
Sound quality does vary sometimes, but even from 3rd world countries, I'd give it at least 8 out of 10 on average for sound quality.
Matt.

G

·
0 Posts
a fantastic tool, highly recommended. Call video / audio quality is generally excellent.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Great tool for free. Occasional hicups when calling my daughter in Ireland, though service has improved since she moved and got her own broadband rather than a mobile dongle.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I use Skype heavily for alot of calls to Oz and the US and have never really had a problem. It did have some teething difficulties when I first started to use it but when it is set up properly the sound quality is fine.

N

·
0 Posts
So can you now have a bi-directional audio on Skype
or do you still have to wait until the other person(s)
have stopped talking before you (rudely?) interrupt?

I find it terrible when people on Skype call my mobile.
Very echo-y too. :rant:

·
Registered
844 Posts
It is Bi-Directional audio simply using the PC speakers and the audio quality is superb using the latest version of Skype. I Skype people all over the world, no problems. Also if you have a webcam, Logitech in my case, you can view the other party in real time. Works very well and its free. I also occassionally use JaJah when I want to use the landline phone, buts its not free. I would say the audio quality of Skype is now on par with JaJah.

N

·
0 Posts
... I just find it annoying to carry a PC around with me
(or stand by it) to make phonecalls. ;)

And people saying "Skype me!" is the final nail in the coffin.

I can see why some people would use it instead of a landline though.

Jajah is pretty cheap especially when compared to making
the call on your mobile. It can be free on landlines
if the other people have signed up too. (Country dependent.)
The "Call Me" web page is good too and there are now direct dial
numbers that you can call locally to get international calls to your
specific address book entries. :cool:

S

·
0 Posts
Just be careful on a corporate network. Skype is a peer to peer application, it was routing a heck of a lot of packets through our network. We had to set up a network policy to restrict the bandwidth it was hogging.

N

·
0 Posts
We have a Cisco VOIP client for work. Now that is impressive:

Use what looks like your desk phone from anywhere in the world. :thumbs:

N

·
0 Posts
Don't you still need a PC to initiate a JaJah call?
Nope.

You can either call specific local number or there is a java
client for you mobile, which initiates the call either via WAP
or SMS, which is the business!
It accesses your phone's address book directly. Almost as
easy as making a normal mobile call :cool:

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I have the skype application on my Nokia 6210 and the mrs has skype on hers too, thats all we use to talk to each other (when i'm forced to that is) no different to a mobile call from what i can tell

1 - 20 of 24 Posts