Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're having our roof done at the moment so not getting a sky signal because of the scaffolding. But at least I thought I could catch up on some recorded programs. Not a chance! :tut::tut::rant:

Found a film I'd recorded a while ago and thought I'd watch that but got a message saying
Sky+ needs a satellite signal to playback, (or some such crap).

WHY:confused: IT'S ON THE FROMPING HARD DRIVE IN THE BOX:rant::rant::rant:

While I'm having a rant.......
When I switched the sky box off BBC1 came on and 'Hole In The Wall' was on. wtF is that about:confused:UTTER SHYTE

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
that is ridiculous, you should still be able to watch a recorded programme surely!! Stupid system :rolleyes:

And yes you're right Kev that programme is utter shyte, the programme developers at the beeb obviously had tiny tots on work experience in when that one was thought up!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
sounds like a scam to stop you watching stuff without paying a subsription to Sky, I think it has to get some daft code fromt he Sat to decide if your still allowed to watch it etc, Sky plus is great as a system and I was about to swap to it but think I may stay with the stand alone HDD and then recording off the box as you dont get silly encryption issues

G

·
0 Posts
This is so people dont record lots of films and programmes and then sell the box onto someone to watch. Therefor the box needs a signal from sky to tell it that you are paying for it. There is a way to get around this, but its not exactly legal.
If you have your sky+ turned off none of the box's features will work, pause etc. I think this is wrong as you have payed for the box.:mad:

·
Super Moderator
85,820 Posts
I think this is wrong as you have payed for the box.:mad:
But you haven't payed the full price of the box, Sky have subsidised the price of the box which is why you had to sign to say you would keep the box connected for the first year ;)

H

·
0 Posts
sounds like a scam to stop you watching stuff without paying a subsription to Sky,
Yep :thumbs:

When we cancelled our Sky subscription, prior to joining Bransons revolution :cool: we noticed that the stuff on our HD no longer worked, the stuff that we had paid for and the stuff that had been recorded from the BBC, again, that through our licence fee we had paid for. And yet Sky dictated to us that since we were no longer greasing their palm with a huge chunk of cash each month, we would no longer be allowed to watch them :rant:

Sky are thieving barstewards of the highest order.

G

·
0 Posts
But you haven't payed the full price of the box, Sky have subsidised the price of the box which is why you had to sign to say you would keep the box connected for the first year ;)
I did, hence on the old adverts, "pay just £99.00 for the box", so you have paid £99.99 for the box. Implying the box's value is £99.00. i didnt see anywhere where it said that they paid for some of the box and the monthly subscription was for the box aswel. Might have changed though. This was about 2 years ago.

M

·
0 Posts
I found the same issue when our neighbours had scaffolding up. I think it's a bit unfair, especially if you have bought a pay per view event for example. I know that you don't get charged if you don't watch it, but a £15 for sports events, you want to watch it more than once before it gets auto deleted.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Is it definately the scaffolding that is causing it not to work, i only say this because we had building work done and rooms moved about and i actually had to make up new sky cables from the arial round the house, through the wall and into the sky box and could not get a reception but then when i checked the sky dish it was out slightly, if you look at the bracket that the dish is attached to there is a small spirit level built into it, i played around until the bubble was in the middle and hey presto we had a reception and picture again, so it is worth a look good luck!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the tip:thumbs:

I'll pop up and have a look, I just assumed the platform above was blocking the signal.

(Hopefully they'll be done this weekend though)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts