Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long winded but necessary.

We decided to get SKY+ and take out the Multiroom as our area was undergoing the Digital switchover during Nov and Dec. We ordered in Aug and eventually got an install date of the 30th in the afternoon. On the day the installer called and said "between 2 and 4" which was ideal as we had friends coming across that evening so it would be all done and dusted.
Waited, and waited. At 4.45 the installer called to apologise, blamed the two previous installs for being multiroom installs when he'd just been booked for single room installs. Decided to rebook with Sky so called and was given 14th in the afternoon.
The day arrived and with no call from the engineer, I called Sky they said between 1 and 4, not ideal but I can live with it. At 1.3o the engineer arrives.
I immediately don't like the bloke, wrong attitude as soon as he walks in to see what rooms he is to get into. I say I want the cable to come through a certain place, he says we'll come in somewhere else.
He then want to see the outside of the house.
He walks around and without looking up, asks where the dish is? Muppet.
He then decided that since he hasn't got a particular type of ladder he can't do as it's a H&S issue. SKY INSTALLED IT IN THE FIRST PLACE BUT ITS NOW A H&S ISSUE!!!
LAZY GOOD FOR NOTHING SOD.

Sky passed me from dept to dept, offering me another installer. Except they couldn't guarantee the same again. Eventually they realised that I'd already wasted 2 afternoons waiting for them and refunded me my install fee. Now on the lookout for a decent Freesat recorder which is what I wanted in the first place.

K

·
0 Posts
LAZY GOOD FOR NOTHING SOD.
Distant cousin of the chap I met in the car park yesterday probably..

I hope you complained to sky about him specifically. I'm sure there's plenty of other people who'd be prepared to put some effort in. My ex-next door neighbour for one.

Some channels aren't yet available on freesat (e.g. Dave, Fiver, Five USA) so unless you want the HD channels you might be better off with freeview (down your aerial). There might be a box that does both - I built a PC that does it but its a PITA.

V

·
0 Posts
Humax make excellent Freesat PVR's that will easily outlast the one year you will likely get from a Sky+ Box, and then have to replace at your own expense.

·
0 Posts
We had to have some internal cabling done by Sky - they only stocked black cable - which is nice :tut:

·
Super Moderator
44,766 Posts
While I'll admit that my Sky+ box did recently break down, it's the first failure I've had, in a combined 11 years ownership.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a good go at the guy on the phone from Sky. Told him how I was expecting this when rather than one of their vans that are plastered in Skys Logo's, this 4yr van appeared, advertising all the available services. Obviously Sky put it out to contract after the ****-up last time and this guy got the work. Didn't get paid though.
I expect to cancel Sky now and have to go through every dept as they try to keep me as a valued customer:rolleyes:.
If I am that much of a valued customer, WHY DID YOU SEND A TWIT TO FIT YOUR STUFF

M

·
0 Posts
We found the SKY install to be a complete pain. The date had been agreed, then brought forward by SKY.....apparently for 'my' convenience.......well not very convenient when I can't get the day off!!
On occasions I've had the misfortune of having to call through to customer service, not much fun either!!
In terms of what you can 'watch', I love SKY, but everthing else involving the 'human' element is a PITA!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
The Sky man who came to install my dish & box a few years ago announced he couldn't put the dish up because he was afraid of heights :rant:
They had to get someone else to come and do it

·
Super Moderator
44,766 Posts
We've got two dishes because when the previous owner had Sky+ fitted, the guy refused to climb all the way up to the original one. :lol:

(Actually it's helped me out - I use one of them for Freesat.)

·
Registered
818 Posts
Our first Sky Installer came to my 3-Storey home and said "can't do this for you mate they've not insured me for work on this high a house..however..I run my own dodgy "business" and I'll put it up for you for £40 tomorrow if you like..." :eek:

How.Thick.Must.I.Look?

Went inside...told Sky I had a 3-Storey house and a few days later...right man with right ladders comes and sorts it in 30 mins.

A mixed caliber of workmen at the best of times.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Have to admit the guy that did ours recently was excellent, only came to do a single install and I asked him how big a job it would be to install in the bedroom as well and he just went ahead and did it, wouldn't take a tip either.

My only gripe is the Sky+HD box wouldn't work with an HDMI cable so we had to use the scart, must be in the settings on the TV somewhere but he spent an hour looking for it without success.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
the guy who came to mine was of similar customer skills to the OP's he drove into the estate like Jenson Button with his radio so loud a Mega Death concert would have struggled to be louder!

He looked at my lving room of my new build which has a nice multi media box in it all sent to the loft for as the builder bumf puts it "easy install of Sat systems" so basicly we had booked Sky+ and I did not want any rubish cables drilled through walls and whanted the cable sent to the amp in the loft. I was informed:

Cant go in the loft not insured!
Cant use that for sky plus wont work can only do standard but cant go in the loft!
I say right "forget the sky plus.....and give me your drill i will go in the loft and drill the hole you can go outside and fit the dish then pass the cable through the wall to me, we can leave it long enough so you can stand in the bedroom and put the F connector on it and I will plug it in!"

Still wish for the plus upgrade so will fit a 2nd box in my living room nice and flush then will pre drill a hole so all they need to do is push a cable between the box and the dish and change the LBN

V

·
0 Posts
Have to admit the guy that did ours recently was excellent, only came to do a single install and I asked him how big a job it would be to install in the bedroom as well and he just went ahead and did it, wouldn't take a tip either.

My only gripe is the Sky+HD box wouldn't work with an HDMI cable so we had to use the scart, must be in the settings on the TV somewhere but he spent an hour looking for it without success.
Do you have an HD TV? Scart won't give you HD!

P

·
0 Posts
We only have FreeView. I get Dave, Dave JaVue, Fiver, Five USA etc. Loads more channels than I need.

The only one I would like is GOLD so I'll be buggered if I'm paying for Sky just to get that!

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
Nothing would suprise me with SKY's service ( or lack of it ) any more. They are far and away one of the worst ( and expensive ) companies I have ever dealt with in my life !!!!!......:rant:

Luckily we managed to get rid of them a few Years ago ( eventually ) but I still keep reading ( and hearing ) comments like this one......:(

E

·
0 Posts
We had to have some internal cabling done by Sky - they only stocked black cable - which is nice :tut:
Should have done it yourself, its only coax with F-connectors. Argos even sell a 10m extension with the connectors attached.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts