Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

The answer to my question may well be on the site somewhere, but I couldn't find it ...

I have a 1994 skinny 2.0TS which I actually like the styling of, but I am interested in the handling improvements of the wide-body setup.

Does anyone here know for certain exactly what is different underneath?

By this I mean is it just the wheel offset, are are the wishbones, dampers, damper mounts, spring widths/lengths etc also different ?

(I am aware that the spring length will be different as mine has the 'standard' taller setup)

Cheers in advance.

P.S. Any recommendations on improvements from a front upper strut brace?

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some recent info I've had is that most of the wider track is in the wheel offset of the later cars...they were also fitted with 5-6mm spacers :rolleyes:

Far as I (we) know there's no difference in the wishbones...but don't bank on it with Alfa :cheese:

As for the strutu brace, try the AO shop (when it's working) or any aftermarket supplier if not...MOMO do a non-adjustable version but there is an adjustable one available...name escapes me at the moment :rolleyes:

wrinx

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers wrinx,

I actually have some spacers somewhere, not the 1inch thick ones people used to put on minis, just some thin 7mm ones. Might give them a go.

Any ideas of the skinny arches would clear a slightly wider track ?
My ride-height is standard for a 2.0 8v at the moment but I am looking at uprated/lowered springs (nothing drastic, just enough to improve spring response and centre of gravity.

Ta,
Chris

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A mate of mine has put the later wheel on and they come in line with the edge of the wheel arch..hence the offset might be the "wide track" all on it's own :cheese: ...THINK his car is lowered and it's ok...but don't take my word for it :eek:

wrinx

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent, looks like a reasonable price for an adjustable brace. I'll have to go check my finances ...

Thanks Again.

I'll let you know the results if I ever get around to trying the spacers.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
..and don't forget Eibachs are the lowering springs of choice for 155's :D...unless you want to slam it into the floor :eek:

wrinx

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just been checking out that strut-brace, if you go to his site http://www.strutbracer.co.uk , he sells it for £50.99 including delivery.

It doesn't mention the 8v, but I can't see the strut-tops being any different. Anyone know if there are any clearance issues with the intake system on the 8v ?

·
Registered
61 Posts
ChrisH said:
Just been checking out that strut-brace, if you go to his site http://www.strutbracer.co.uk , he sells it for £50.99 including delivery.

It doesn't mention the 8v, but I can't see the strut-tops being any different. Anyone know if there are any clearance issues with the intake system on the 8v ?
Juss been on the site but didn't c any 4 the V6. Is it any different 2 the Q4 or other 155's :confused: :confused:

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ChrisH said:
On the ebay auction it mentions the 1.7 which is 8v :D

wrinx

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alfahta said:
Juss been on the site but didn't c any 4 the V6. Is it any different 2 the Q4 or other 155's :confused: :confused:
Yes...try emailing them.

wrinx

·
Registered
14 Posts
ChrisH said:
Hi Guys,

The answer to my question may well be on the site somewhere, but I couldn't find it ...

I have a 1994 skinny 2.0TS which I actually like the styling of, but I am interested in the handling improvements of the wide-body setup.

Does anyone here know for certain exactly what is different underneath?

By this I mean is it just the wheel offset, are are the wishbones, dampers, damper mounts, spring widths/lengths etc also different ?

(I am aware that the spring length will be different as mine has the 'standard' taller setup)

Cheers in advance.

P.S. Any recommendations on improvements from a front upper strut brace?
Hi. Just put a strut brace on my 1993 1.8 8V and it made a helluva difference. Turn in feels tighter and less bump/shudder over speed ramps. Also, no knock on full lock which used to drive me mad. It was an adjustable model from K&P Racing (never heard of them). fitting took me about an hour on my own and had no issues with clearance at all. Won on EBay for "29 delivered to my door! Bonus!!

Ian

·
Registered
14 Posts
AlfaJack said:
:cool: One hell of a cost effective mod then :D :)
Sure was!!

Post crash just about all the front suspension has been changed but the car still clunked and thumped.
Also won the auction for a ramair induction kit. Anyone got experience of these?

Used to have twin foam filters on my 116 Giulietta with Dell'orto 40's on it and just loved the sound. Hopefully this'll be as much fun.
:)

Also, in a moment of madness, remembered that my daughter turns 17 this year (EEK!) and wants a sud. A bit out of the question so I went and bought her a 33 1.7 I.E on an M plate. These things do tend to get the better of you don't they.........

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
wizard69 said:
Sure was!!

Post crash just about all the front suspension has been changed but the car still clunked and thumped.
Also won the auction for a ramair induction kit. Anyone got experience of these?

Used to have twin foam filters on my 116 Giulietta with Dell'orto 40's on it and just loved the sound. Hopefully this'll be as much fun.
:)

Also, in a moment of madness, remembered that my daughter turns 17 this year (EEK!) and wants a sud. A bit out of the question so I went and bought her a 33 1.7 I.E on an M plate. These things do tend to get the better of you don't they.........
Wow, one hell of a first car! :eek: Those things are quick :D glad she has good taste in cars! :cool:

·
Registered
14 Posts
AlfaJack said:
Wow, one hell of a first car! :eek: Those things are quick :D glad she has good taste in cars! :cool:
Not as daft as the Perm4 I used to own.

Actually, after paying the bills on it for nearly 18 months, it owned me! Expensive toy indeed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts