Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any information on skimming a diesel head? For example do you need to use a thicker gasket to correct the increase in compression ratio?

My local Alfa dealer said they couldn't skim a diesel head, yet the muppets I bought my car from reckon they can fix my head gasket issue including a skim. This is despite the fact they couldn't fix the windscreen washer properly, or a minor oil leak. To say I'm worried would be an understatement.

Any advice would be gratefully received. I'd like to be fore-armed when talking to them so at least it appears like I know what I'm talking about.

M

·
0 Posts
The first thing to do is to have the head checked to see if a skimming is really needed and if so by exactly how much....

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How is that done? Do they put the head on a flat surface and check for gaps, or would a pressure test show whether a skim is required?

M

·
0 Posts
Checked off a flat surface and they look for any distortion in the head but a machine shop would normally do this...

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
A good machine shop will only skim the minimum of whats needed off the head. This is so that if the head warps again then it can be done again in theory. I heard of someplaces take more because they can't be arsed to do it properly so if you don't trust them then take it to a shop yourself.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Because they're the garage I bought the car from they should be doing the work for free. If I take it somewhere else I'll have to pay for it and try and claim the repair through the small claims court. If the garage offered to fix the car then I guess it's going to be harder to make a successful claim against them.

I'm kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place. Do I get the car fixed by mechanics I don't have much faith in for free, or pay for it myself and try and get a good job done?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts