Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently had a new steering rack fitted. Good times

But now, when i apply the brakes, i get a single knock/clunk (sounds like suspension/transmission - possibly nearside front)).

I only get it once, until i reverse the car or if the car has been stopped for a period.

Any ideas?

(I would take it back to the garage, but they're are miles away and i'm losing faith in them)

·
Premium Member
3,476 Posts
I have the exact same fault, but mine only started after I had Performance Friction Pads put in the front. Another forum member has the same issue as well with the PF pads, but we are not yet sure if its related! Autolusso did my brake upgrade so they are going to take a look at some stage (when I get it back to them). You should try and see what the garage that did the rack reckon.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I had this issue on a motorcycle. The pads that are not original were slightly smaller and moved a bit in the caliper, making a single knock sound by hitting the caliper. When I changed them to original ones the sound went away. As KingGu said, you hear it after you apply brakes when it is stopped for a period or going from reverse.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that would make sense.

Just phoned the garage and they say they wouldnt have removed / touched the brakes when doing the steering rack (which surprises me but im no mechanic).

they also suggest it is the pads moving and this is a 'normal' noise and nothing to worry about - again given we're talking about brakes this surprises me.

maybe ill get the pads changed and see what that does.

·
Premium Member
3,476 Posts
Its not normal by any stretch of the imagination, but it could be pad movement, then again it could be a host of other things like CV joints etc. Get it back to them and tell them to take a look as it only started after they did the rack.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts