Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I carry out most of the maintainence of our Giallo Zoe 145 1.4 Twin Spark. Recently when getting the timing belt changed, my mechanic who I rate very highly, commented that while changing the belt he noticed the MAF was rubbing off the bonnet lining. He loosened the clamps on both sides of the MAF and turned it back towards the bulkhead (MAF maybe in differant locations on other Twin Sparks) so that it was no longer touching the bonnet. He commented that the resistor in the MAF is senistive to vibration and by contantly touching the bonnet lining it could cause the MAF to fail prematurely.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
it vibrates with the engine anyway, so i doubt it, but every little helps i suppose;)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Theres a huge variance in the level of vibration transmitted through the two connecting flexible rubber hoses on eithier side of the MAF and the vibration transferred directly from the bonnet. In my case the MAF by being constantly in contact with the bonnet had noticeably worn the bonnet lining at the point of contact. Its a free tweek that will prolong the life of an expensive part to replace.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Theres a huge variance in the level of vibration transmitted through the two connecting flexible rubber hoses on eithier side of the MAF and the vibration transferred directly from the bonnet. In my case the MAF by being constantly in contact with the bonnet had noticeably worn the bonnet lining at the point of contact. Its a free tweek that will prolong the life of an expensive part to replace.
mines in between the battery and the engine so i get it from both sides:lol:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Meant to say also that oil contamination from the crankcase breather hose it the other source of MAF failure on Twin Spark engines, remove MAF and spray resistor with a good quality electrical contact cleaner and combined with relocating the MAF should maximise the life of this expensive component and provide smoother running!!!

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Meant to say also that oil contamination from the crankcase breather hose it the other source of MAF failure on Twin Spark engines, remove MAF and spray resistor with a good quality electrical contact cleaner and combined with relocating the MAF should maximise the life of this expensive component and provide smoother running!!!
now that i dont understand as the breather is upstream of the maf. for that to happen air would have to flow the other way, and that aint gona happen unless the engines breaths out, which it doesnt:confused:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check your hoses and you will find oil contamination "upstream" and "downstream" from where the breather hose joins with the air intake....reason? I suspect that on lifting off trottle air intake ceases but engine breathing continues. Would welcome other views on why there is oil contamination the MAF side of the hose?

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Check your hoses and you will find oil contamination "upstream" and "downstream" from where the breather hose joins with the air intake....reason? I suspect that on lifting off trottle air intake ceases but engine breathing continues. Would welcome other views on why there is oil contamination the MAF side of the hose?
oh you mean so air sort of bounces back down the inlet? yeah i can get that:thumbs:

would be so little though, the maf would probably die before it made any difference anyway, silly things:lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts