Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've bought a few Silverline bits and pieces from ebay here and there. Mostly expendable stuff in sizes I lose frequently; 10mm sockets and spanners and the like. The don't get any heavy use and they've been fine. What was missing from my arsenal was a 15mm ratchet spanner so I decided to fork out for one. I bought a Silverline one from ebay because I couldn't arsed going to Halfords, it turned up and was pressed into use.

The picture below shows the spanner in question next to a Halfords Pro 15mm spanner that's about 5 years old. The jaws opened out like that undoing a pedal on my son's bike. Once I'd bollocksed the Silverline one I used the Halfords one and it had no trouble at all. What you can't see is that on the other side I have managed to scratch through the plating to the copper below. Damage which no other spanner in my collection has.

I decided to contact Silverline to tell them how **** their spanners are and to request a new one but no joy. To claim on the guarantee, you have to register the spanner with them when you buy it and keep your receipt. I've never registered a spanner in my life so I missed out on that one. No matter, I'll just e-mail them I thought but there was no joy with that either. There is no e-mail address on their website other than for recruitment and crap like that.

Not impressed. Not impressed at all.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
That is rather shocking.....imagine if you had put it to really hard use...it may have sheared leading to injury:tut:

My very first set of tools (bought about 16 years ago....cheapo set from Argos to get me going) have all but failed long since, but any Draper or Halfords(mainly Advanced/ Pro) items have never let me down:thumbs:

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Not heard of the brand - are they 'cheap'?

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
wow have never seen that except on some cheap rubbish from China. I'm still using my Gedore spanners which are about 20 years old and still 100%.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is why the US is miles ahead of Europe when it comes to this type
of customer service. No quibble replacement. :thumbs:

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is why the US is miles ahead of Europe when it comes to this type
of customer service. No quibble replacement. :thumbs:
To be fair, the one time I ever broke a Halford pro tool (a socket and I was really leaning on it), they replaced it with no quibbles.

This lot sponsor that **** Plato in his Daewoo touring car so I should have known.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To be fair, the one time I ever broke a Halford pro tool (a socket and I was really leaning on it), they replaced it with no quibbles.

This lot sponsor that **** Plato in his Daewoo touring car so I should have known.
Cack(ish) driver......cack car(definitely).....cack tools????:lol:

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Register a spanner?

Under the Sale of Goods Act, goods must be fit for purpose. You are entitled to a refund or replacement.

And next time go Snap-On.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Register a spanner?

Under the Sale of Goods Act, goods must be fit for purpose. You are entitled to a refund or replacement.

And next time go Snap-On.
The Snap-On van doesn't stop at my house very often.

For my amateurish tinkering I don't need snap on but I don't need shite either. My Clarke, Draper, Sealey and Halfords spanners have all served me well. I don't think I've ever opened up the jaws on one like that before.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts

For my amateurish tinkering I don't need snap on but I don't need shite either. My Clarke, Draper, Sealey and Halfords spanners have all served me well. I don't think I've ever opened up the jaws on one like that before.
Fair one. I only use Snap-On at work... I'd be down a kidney if I had to buy it myself. Halfords and Draper do just fine at home.

BTW how come you get to say 'shite' but I don't get to say ******?

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
I bought loads of Silverline spanners for other employees to use and never had a problem with them or their electrical stuff. I'm 100% certain this is not typical of the brand. I just looked at the reviews on Amazon and the spanner set gets 4.5 out of 5 overall only that because 2 people complained about the plastic roll they were in.
You didn't pay a stupidly cheap price by any chance for a very cheap copy of an already economy brand. That said if the tool is genuine and there is a problem they should honour the gaurantee. Their lack of response might be because the spanner was not bought from one of their outlets.
BTW shouldn't your claim go to the e bay seller rather than the manufacturer.

·
Registered
247 Posts

I remember spending some dosh on teng sockets and spanners... the hardest thing is stopping them walking when people drop round to "borrow" them

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've just received a communication from silverline as a result of this very thread. :wow:

In the circumstances, it doesn't seem appropriate to do any further slating because the issue may yet get resolved.

Please can a kindly mod close this for now and I'll update as necessary at a later stage.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.