Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys , i brought an alfa from silvercheck alfa with 13587 miles on the clock. Since my waranty ran out ( which was only 2 months) every things gone wrong with my beloved alfa eg gear box etc etc recently been spending so much money on it thought i would hpi check the car and in june 2004 the cars milage was recorded at 99040 and as my car now reads 20,000 miles you can see the problem. been in contact with them to get my money back but there not the slightist bit interested. so now i have had to take it to trading standards to try and get my £5500 back so wish me luck

PLEASE DO NOT BUY FROM THEM THEY SELL BENT CARS !!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
204 Posts
if what you say is correct, then thats disgusting. surely you have a strong case and should be well within your rights to demand your money back:tut:

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeh tryed sent them the hpi report like asked for, along with all receipts, and they have not contacted me in regards to this. The boss wont answer his phone so they have left me no choice so i had to contact trading standards

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Don't assume that the car sales co. actually has any money. Trading standards may possibly make a case against them, which could result in a fine, and there would be even less money to sue for. (assuming there is some). The car could have had electrical problems. If I assume that it is about 5 years old, then the mileage on it when you bought it was so low that it would be expected that you were able to verify it at the time. So, no old MOT certs, no service book, no previous owner details? Trading standards are unlikely to be interested in getting your money back.

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Are you sure the mileage wasn't recorded incorrectly? Maybe it should have been recorded as 9040. :confused:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Are you sure the mileage wasn't recorded incorrectly? Maybe it should have been recorded as 9040. :confused:
I was just going to suggest that, its sometimes possible to check old MOT certs.
The garage state "all cars HPI'd" so they should have seen the mileage report. Its not very well known, but I would be surprised if they didn't, because if they take in a car with money owed they have to settle it, whether aware or not.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it was recorded by bvlra who eva they are dont think they got it wrong as with all the parts that have gone wrong eg you expect bushes to perish but ball joints track rod ends all failing at 20000 mlies ant right same as the condition of all the tenstioners they where shot and i mean really bad, alfa say every 36,000 or 3 years for changing them so surely they would neva be as bad as what they where as they on coved 20,000 miles also i had a new gearbox as well :(

D

·
0 Posts
Shocking, they are miserable excuses for human beings not to give your money back.......

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
If the mileage is accurate and the HPi check mileage is inaccurate it stands to reason that the car could have been stood for a long time, on a car with that sort of mileage I'm sure the interior would show signs of wear and tear.

The usual things to look for are shineyness (denoting worn shiney) and baldness of steering wheel and gearknob. Also check the sills for scratches and damage as a high use car would pick up plenty of scratches from people just getting in and out.

If the interior looks pretty pristine I'd say the mileage could be accurate and the damage done is due to poor maintenance whilst the car was stood.

Hope this sets your mind at ease (or not) re: the garage you bought it from.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
OK so its done the mileage, and their advert admits they knew.
Are you a member of any organisation that could help, or have you goy any legal costs insurance that might help?

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Good luck - however, did they gurantee the mileage when you bought the car - as it seems it might have gone around the clock?

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Do cars actually go 'around the clock' nowadays? It's more likely that the clocks have been changed.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
And you bought it in that condition?

You might not want to hear this but you should have done your research a bit better

http://forum.alfa156.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8373&KW=silvercheck

Remember Google is your friend, hope you get somewhere with trading standards. One thing I will say is thanks for highlighting this to the forum it may stop other people getting fleeced which is a good thing in my book.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Jon147, my sympathy is hardly any compensation, but you have it in full. 7,700 on the clock of our 147, as previously stated.Had very little use, prior to us buying it. Has now, just short of 12,000 recorded, it really is first class. Defy anyone to of found one that was in better condition at the time we bought it. No regrets whatsoever. All original receipts,HPI'd, everything checked out above board. Service book complete, absolutely genuine. Purchased privately, so the period it was inactive was of little detriment to it's condition. Once more,really sorry to hear of your bad luck, and hope you achieve a successful conclusion.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
what the arm rest? no, think they painted it with blue leather spray and as i used it it went like that
Edited my post with more info you might want to have a look :(

1 - 20 of 96 Posts