Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! One silly question: my Q4 is experiencing the following symptom: the electric fan's first speed doesn't cut in, but when the engine temp reaches 90°C, second speed cuts in perfectly for about 10 secs, allowing the engine temp to go down to 86°C more or less...

I presume it's due to the first speed fuse or relay. Now in that case... where are they located precisely in the fuse box? I can't manage to recognize them!! :rolleyes: I think I should be looking for a 30A fuse, shouldn't I?? :confused: Because I've replaced every single one I could find... but nothing happens!! :rant:

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
In the main fuse box the fan fuse is 4th from the bottom on the left ;)

And on the right hand side of the radiator there should be a FUSEBOX and the 40 amp fuse is for the radiator fan and also another fusebox between the nearside strut and brake fluid resevoir there should be a 50 amp fuse for the radiator fan ;)

And then in the auxillary fusebox behind the dasch there is a 30 amp and a 7.5 amp fuse in position 10 and 11 respectively

Have you tried crossing the wires on the fan switch :confused: you should be able to make both speeds run from that ................if you can then the fault is the switch itself :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No... haven't tried crossing the wires yet... Good idea. ;)

What confussed me a little bit was having 2nd speed work but not 1st... that should eliminate a problem in radiator fan connections or fan fuses, shouln't it? That's why I thought about checking 1st speed fuse or relay as a separate matter... but haven't been able to find the stupid fuse yet!! :rant:

I'll let you know my results! :D

Cheers.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
It`s quite pos that the first stage part of the fan switch has given up the ghost :rolleyes:

Try crossing the wires and see if you get both speeds working ;)

M

·
0 Posts
Also check the terminals on the fan resistance unit (if the Q4 uses the same system as my air conditioned 16v) It is fastened onto the side of the radiator housing with 2 screws. Mine had a badly corroded terminal (there are 3) which prevented the slow speed working.

M

·
0 Posts
I am certain the problem is with the resistance unit as it's a bit like the heater fan. When the resistance is by-passed the fan runs at full speed. When the resistance is in circuit it slows down.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well Mike, in fact, I've been using the heater quite a lot this last days. So I might consider your suggestion in the first place. But it won't be until saturday that I'll have the time to spend on my beloved car... :mad:

Thanks!

M

·
0 Posts
Hi again.
You can't realy miss the resistor unit. It's only a 2 minute job to check it. Open the bonnet and it's very slightly left of centre & screwed to the radiator fan mounting. By the way it has only 2 wires, not 3 that I said before. If you need to remove it it's held on with 2 philips screws.
One of my terminals was so badly corroded I had to solder the connection :mad:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advise, Mike!! ;)

I'll do it this afternoon, right after work.

I'll let you know the news!! :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah... kind of... :rolleyes:

Checked the resistance, but no problem there...

A friend of mine who also owns a Q4 told me that it could also be the thermostat, which apparently makes both the first and second speeds work independently. I'll be doing this check tomorrow, as I have to drain the water deposit in order to replace it and need some time to do so...

But to tell you the truth, I'm beggining to believe that it must be something electrical or fuse-related, because yesterday I once again pressed the horn and the fuse that controls horn, stop lights and radio broke (it's the second time in two weeks!!).

I'll keep you updated on this matter. Thanks for asking and helping!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts