Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
A fat wobbly Yank car-lover with a penchant for beige...sorry, black plastic dashboards?

Hmmmm....tough one this? wink

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nem, there is a reason big, proper 4x4s feel wobbly on road, Range Rovers, Landcruisers, Nissan Patrols, big Jeeps, they're all the same - Why? Because they are designed to be used off-road! That's right, these are cars people buy so they can actually use them off tarmac! Not that I expect a RAV4 owner to understand that concept...

You need very soft suspension in order for a car to work properly as an off-road tool. Of course if you never intend to use the car off road you could buy a Mercedes M-Class or a BMW X-5...

N

·
0 Posts
I can't remember the last time that I saw mumsy just nipping across the field in order to get the kids to school that bit quicker in her RangeRover, Landcruiser, Nissan Patrol or big Jeep. I'd say less than 1% of UK who buy/own 4WD bought it to go off road - it's all image - 'I could go off road...if I wanted to' and 'mine is bigger than yours' and 'we really are quite wealthy...you should see our house'.

:p

S

·
0 Posts
When on an extremely expensive holiday in the Bahamas...you should see our house...I drove a Hummer. Bloody frightening. Absolutely rubbish on and off road!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't live in the UK Nem, nor am I a Mum (or a Dad). Still, if all big 4x4 drivers are school-run mumsies, does that make all the teeny 4x4 drivers school-run mumsie wannabies?

Anwyay, here's some photos of my old Jeep, sorry about the couple posing in the photos, These are two of my best friends and the photos were taken when they were over here visiting us on holiday... Still, not a primary school in sight!

Oh yeah, and the Hummer is a pile of sh!te... I think the new one is better though.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
wtf is quadradrive (a synonym (is that the right word?) for 4wd?)?

Personally I don't like Jeeps because they are too expensive over here. Much better off with a Landcruiser or a Patrol spares parts wise aswell. Apparently the Cayenne is good on road and off road, as good as everything else. They say that its on road handling rivals most sedans and the off road keeps up with most 4wds.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quadradrive means 3 diff-locks, computer controlled to give the most power to the wheel with the most traction, even if three of the wheels are slipping. Works very well, although you'll never see it on a Eurpean Jeep, this is for the ones that actually go off road.

As for the Porker, have you seen pictures of it off road? Way too stiff, not enough wheel/axle articulation for anything worse than a gravel track. If you get stuck in the dessert you can die, I wouldn't want to risk my life in a fake 4x4 like the Porker, the X5 or the Merc M-Class.

N

·
0 Posts
Could you define 'fake' a little further please Luke. It would be interesting.

wink

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Luke:
<strong>Quadradrive means 3 diff-locks</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quad means 4? why isn't it called tridrive? Why call it four when its only 3?

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by eminence:
<strong> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Luke:
<strong>Quadradrive means 3 diff-locks</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quad means 4? why isn't it called tridrive? Why call it four when its only 3?</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">i think its something to do with the 4 wheels wink

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by daKlone:
<strong>'Real' offroaders drive Defenders, don't they? :confused: wink </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yup.

Defenders and Landcruisers. I can't afford a Landcruiser and the Defender is not a practical everyday car, the Jeep might not be as good off-road buit it's surprisingly not that far off whilst at the same time you can drive it doewn the motorway without deafening yourself and getting chronic backache.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Banflu:
<strong> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by eminence:
<strong> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Luke:
<strong>Quadradrive means 3 diff-locks</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quad means 4? why isn't it called tridrive? Why call it four when its only 3?</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">i think its something to do with the 4 wheels wink </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Spot on.

It's effectively a different 4-wheel drive system to the standard one (it's just got these limited slip diffs and the computer wizardry added) so they call it Quadradrive. It's a dodgy marketing term obviously.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts