Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
18,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The A-road I was on today has a speed limit that flits between 50mph and 60mph. In front of me was a Volvo estate driving at 40mph. While in no great rush today, given the A-road is quite long, I didn’t really want to drive down it at 40mph mile after mile.

Ahead of us are some traffic lights with two lanes. I moved into the right lane with the Volvo to my left. When the lights changed to green, I moved off smartly to clear the Volvo; not because I want to drive at 100mph, but because I just want to make a bit more progress than we were making before. Sounds reasonable? So what does the Volvo do? From the lights, it matches my acceleration, side by side until we get to about 50mph, when I start to run out of road and the road on my side filters back into one lane. Not being too keen on a head on collision, I back off and settle behind the Volvo...which slows to 35mph. Why? Why do that? What has been achieved here? Because I’m not a bell-end, I wasn’t tailgating the Volvo beforehand, because I knew we were coming up to a place where I had a legal opportunity to pass a slower vehicle safely. Then this happens. :irked:

You’re probably thinking ‘two sides to every story - I’d like to hear the Volvo driver’s side’. Err, me too! Grrr, deep breath. :beer:

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
Volvo driver: guilty, I've heard enough, send him down.:judge::lol:

I'm same as you Scud' don't get involved with willy waving on the roads, let the idiots get on with it, then pass them at the next set of lights.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
18,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol, you jokers! :jester: :biglaugh:

·
Registered
15,222 Posts
******s. It's equally annoying when they go in the right hand lane then set off with a turn of pace that would shame a milkfloat.

Absolute ******s.

·
Registered
88 Posts
this sort of thing happens very frequently in norfolk .

its like the ageing motorist population is trying to self police the speed limits as they see it .

I took my daughter back to uni the other day - 60 mph speed limit , dawdler in front doing 40 mph ! so i over took ,not dangerous in any way shape or form , didnt even break the speed limit . all of a sudden this old guy is hanging on to my back bumper ( very close ) !!!! so i continued to overtake the other dawdlers in front , and this old guy in his cee,d is still there !! ! obviously he is in a complete rage as i had the bare face cheek and total disregard for his self imposed speed limit .
needless to say after me getting quite irate with this utter ar"$ ho*& up the back of me ,( i could even see the angry look on his face in the mirror ) i let him witness the true performance of a remapped 159 2.4 ti . never saw him behind me again , .

this sort of thing happens frequently around these parts ( norfolk ) .

On my 400 mile round trip to sheffield and then on to leeds to visit my son i never witnessed any thing remotely the same .

why the f"%& cant people just mind their own and live and let live .

·
Registered
800 Posts
It seems to be second nature to want to race from the lights even if the other driver isnt really wanting to press on after he has pulled away but just prove he may/maynot have a faster car...

If im in a hurry all i need is some **** getting away faster just to then drive slower than the speed limit for that road..to&&ers

S

·
0 Posts
Same here today. Roundabout, dual carriageway 40mph section. Tuck in behind two cars off the roundabout. Front one hits 30 and stays there. I pull out, up to 40, moving past as I get level with 30mph lead car. He accelerates to 40. As I need to go left at the next roundabout in about 400 yards, I back off. Tuck in directly behind him. Immediately he brakes to 20ish mph.
I don't usually, but I pull out, boot it and zip round. Tuck in in front and he's flashing, honking, gesturing. ****ing tool.

I agree with the "I am the law" idiots needing a slap.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
had the opposite happen today.

I pulled of a roundabout with an A4tdi in front. The single ane turned into a dual carriage way and he was booting it ever since leaving the roundabout, only slowing down in suspect areas regarding speed traps. I let him go as the engine wasn't fully warm yet.

Then he had to stop for a red, and I pulled about besides him. I didn't go all the way next to him though, I stoppew with my front wheel next to the drivers window.

He immediately spotted the brembos, looked at them twice for about 5 seconds each time, then he looked at me.

Light turns green, guess who didn't want to play anymore?

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Old white haired jobby, cruising at 40 mph a couple of weeks ago, I pull out to overtake and he suddenly accelerated, as in your scenario. Was your volvo driver an old duffer also looking to be in control of the road?

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
18,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not keen to put the car on trial here. I don't like boy-racer/sales rep/pensioner/Volvo driver/Audi driver general accusations - I'm more interested in driver behaviour, irrespective of the car they're driving or driver category (old, young, sales rep etc). This bloke would have been a t1t behind the wheel of any car.

Reactions: 198497

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
18,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
your car has an accelerator and a brake aswell. use either.
erm.... he used both but was idiotically and senselessly prevented from overtaking by a mischievous moron.

Maybe you were tailgating?
See below:teacher:
The A-road I was on today has a speed limit that flits between 50mph and 60mph. In front of me was a Volvo estate driving at 40mph. While in no great rush today, given the A-road is quite long, I didn’t really want to drive down it at 40mph mile after mile.

Ahead of us are some traffic lights with two lanes. I moved into the right lane with the Volvo to my left. When the lights changed to green, I moved off smartly to clear the Volvo; not because I want to drive at 100mph, but because I just want to make a bit more progress than we were making before. Sounds reasonable? So what does the Volvo do? From the lights, it matches my acceleration, side by side until we get to about 50mph, when I start to run out of road and the road on my side filters back into one lane. Not being too keen on a head on collision, I back off and settle behind the Volvo...which slows to 35mph. Why? Why do that? What has been achieved here? Because I’m not a bell-end, I wasn’t tailgating the Volvo beforehand, because I knew we were coming up to a place where I had a legal opportunity to pass a slower vehicle safely. Then this happens. :irked:

You’re probably thinking ‘two sides to every story - I’d like to hear the Volvo driver’s side’. Err, me too! Grrr, deep breath. :beer:
Sounds like the guy is deeply frustrated and wanting to pass-on some of his frustration?
Provocative and potentially dangerous behaviour like this happens far too often, I just try to grit my teeth and ignore, but this dawdle then cane it strategy to deliberately prevent someone legally wanting to travel a bit faster is hard to deal with. Driving the Taxi leaves no option but patience I fear;)

Bell-ends of the world, who can figure them out?:confused::depressed:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts