Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I was trying to check my oil levels (after about 2000km/1250miles) and after checking the dispstick if found that oil was only visible on one side of the dipstick (side closer to engine), other side was practically dry.

Is this normal for a 147 2.0??

·
Registered
9,189 Posts
You haven't got something on the dipstick that causing the oil to disperse? Polish or something similar? Checked mine at weekend and both sides had oil on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: silly dipstick Q

Nope nothing on dipstick, clean as a whistle. I did notice that the tube it slides through is curved, maybe this causes the oil to be wiped off on the out?

·
Banned
1,421 Posts
Re: silly dipstick Q

alfash said:
Nope nothing on dipstick, clean as a whistle. I did notice that the tube it slides through is curved, maybe this causes the oil to be wiped off on the out?
When extracting the dipstick try rotating it 90 deg's. I suspect that the oil is been *wiped* off as it comes up past the bend.

Most important is the level reading OK on the side that has the oil on it?

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
Arne't dipsticks a stupid thing to have in a modern Engine?, shouldn't there be some high tech device which lets you know exactly how much (Or little :eek: ) oil you have??.
The modern Synthetic Oils just slip off the things without leaving a trace, makes filling up a real hit or miss affair. :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The side with oil shows the level just below the max mark, so I should be ok. Will try the "dipstick twist" next chance I get though.

My next project : invent dipstick less car engine.

·
Registered
197 Posts
IanM said:
Arne't dipsticks a stupid thing to have in a modern Engine?, shouldn't there be some high tech device which lets you know exactly how much (Or little :eek: ) oil you have??.
The modern Synthetic Oils just slip off the things without leaving a trace, makes filling up a real hit or miss affair. :(
I quite agree Mitch. Cars are like mobile computer centres these days, yet we still have to lift the bonnet and pull out a long wiggly thing to check the oil - crazy! Petrol tanks have had gauges for decades, why not sumps???
And another thing, why is it that all modern cars have heated rear screens (so you can see where you've been), but most have no heated windscreen (so you can see where you're going)???
And ref. the latter point, why is it that you need to buy a blinkin' Ford if you want to address the problem? :rant:
Geoff

·
Administrator
45,303 Posts
alfash said:
The side with oil shows the level just below the max mark, so I should be ok. Will try the "dipstick twist" next chance I get though.

My next project : invent dipstick less car engine.
So if you've only got oil on one side it's simple enough. But what if you've got oil on both sides, but at two different levels?
Which one do you believe then?

·
Registered
627 Posts
:D Ah yes the one great thing about my old fiesta Si - Heated front windscreen - what a joy! Flick a switch, wait a minute then flick the wipers :cool:

·
Registered
989 Posts
ideally for the health of the car, how long before we top up the engine oil and how long do we change the engine oil completely?

the bloody dipstick is doing my head in, i can never get a accurate reading on it cos i think the tube has oil on the side. think i am better off to Kwik Fit or something :lol: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
87 Posts
jowettgeoff said:
I quite agree Mitch. Cars are like mobile computer centres these days, yet we still have to lift the bonnet and pull out a long wiggly thing to check the oil - crazy! Petrol tanks have had gauges for decades, why not sumps???
And another thing, why is it that all modern cars have heated rear screens (so you can see where you've been), but most have no heated windscreen (so you can see where you're going)???
And ref. the latter point, why is it that you need to buy a blinkin' Ford if you want to address the problem? :rant:
Geoff

The "new" E class Mercedes Benz doesn't have a dipstick. My friend drives a 220CDi, and we tried to find the dipstick with no luck, and after reading the maual, we found out that we could check the oil level in the driving computer... I don't like to trust electric gauges... But the thing is... If it fails MB has to take the cost of a new engine. :D

·
Registered
197 Posts
jowettgeoff said:
...And another thing, why is it that all modern cars have heated rear screens (so you can see where you've been), but most have no heated windscreen (so you can see where you're going)???
Geoff
I take it back! I've just noticed that Alfa are offering a low interest deal on the 166 2.0 TS with heated rear AND front 'windows' (assuming they mean screens?).
Sorry Mr Romeo! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
The JTD's have a bar graph to show the oil level at start up.
Seems very accurate too (i.e. reads the same as the dipstick).
:cool:

Caterhams have heated front screens too.
I think it is to warm your nose against if you get a bit rosy cheeked.
:D

S

·
0 Posts
If Alfas relied on an oil warning light rather than a dipstick, the bulb would last about 6 weeks! :lol: :cheese:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sillyspeed said:
If Alfas relied on an oil warning light rather than a dipstick, the bulb would last about 6 weeks! :lol: :cheese:
I wouldn't trust an alfa oil level guage, they cant get a temp or fuel guage to work properly :eek:

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
mine is similar with the dipstick but i cant help but wonder wether the side with oil on only has it because its been dragged against the dipstick holder on the way out of engine so you think there is oil but there isnt :(

·
Registered
989 Posts
fletch said:
mine is similar with the dipstick but i cant help but wonder wether the side with oil on only has it because its been dragged against the dipstick holder on the way out of engine so you think there is oil but there isnt :(
thats exactly what i am experiencing when topping oil up.

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
IanM said:
There is such a device (or close) ... there's a red oil can light in the dash that will light up when there's no more oil.... :p :p :p :p

;)

·
Registered
146 Posts
alfash said:
Hello all,

I was trying to check my oil levels (after about 2000km/1250miles) and after checking the dispstick if found that oil was only visible on one side of the dipstick (side closer to engine), other side was practically dry.

Is this normal for a 147 2.0??
GLAD to hear I am not the only one with this problem.Am working on the problem,will advise of outcome.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts