Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was tired this morning as I did not sleep much due to the heat. At the petrol station I picked up the Black Diesel pump instead of the green petrol one!
I realised before I stuck it in, and picked up the right pump. I have never done anything like that before, but when I aint slept Fuk knows whats going on!

The 147 has a green area around the petrol pump intake, does this mean it will only allow pumps to fit into the slot which are green, therefore unleaded petrol?

So if I were to put a black diesel pump into the slot it would not fit?? I hope this is the case, Hopefully Shell do this to stop idiots like me putting the wrong fuel in their car.

I feel like such a knob. :lol:

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
....dont think so. If I remember right the leaded four star petrol had a larger diameter nozzle on the pump so you couldn't fill a catalytic-fitted car, with leaded petrol.

But Diesel into a petrol car is quite possible and happens I think quite often (my sister did it a couple of years ago).

Frightened myself a few weeks ago - picked up a courtesy car and of course it was almost empty. Picked up the un-leaded nozzle at the petrol station without thinking to check or looking to see that it wasn't diesel. It was only as I was filling it I thought it could be diesel ......then confirmed the cap I removed said un-leaded. But there was nothing around the flap or the opening.

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
A collegue of mine did put petrol into the companys diesel van.... and realized it when the engine died.... not a cheap operation to "repair" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Diesel in a petrol car produces lots of black smoke, but no lasting damage.

Petrol in a modern diesel means new engine time if you've started it.

And the nozzles aren't coded.

Simon.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I've had this arguement on another forum with a few people already. I don't think too many people know what happens when you put petrol into a diesel engine or diesel into a petrol engine.

I know 2 people who have put petrol into a diesel car and driven it until it stopped. Result - no damage. just flush out the engine and restock with diesel and it will work fine. cost about €400.

Putting diesel into a petrol car is different though, diesel won't ignite as easilly as petrol, hence why it has to be compressed to explode. Never heard of anyone I know putting diesel into a petrol but I would think that the engine wouldn't survive to well with diesel in it.

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
PMackey said:
I know 2 people who have put petrol into a diesel car and driven it until it stopped. Result - no damage. just flush out the engine and restock with diesel and it will work fine. cost about €400.
Yeah, no damage to engine was done in the case I know :)

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Putting diesel into a petrol car wont damage anything, except maybe the catalytic converter if the amount of diesel isn’t too high meaning it can still be ignited by the spark plugs with out them fouling.

Petrol in a diesel car is another matter, you can put a fair share of petrol in a diesel car tank without making any noticeable impact on how the engine sounds and performs. Truck drivers in the Scandinavian countries put gasoline in the diesel to prevent the diesel from separating in extreme cold weather. (it's way cheaper than diesel anti freeze additives) But, there's a catch to it; Commonrail diesel injection systems operate at extremely high pressures and rely on the lubricating abilities of diesel fuel. Once you start mixing it with petrol the high pressure fuel pump and the injectors might suffer irreparable damage. (Don’t ever, never run a JTD Alfa out of fuel)

As for the nozzle on the gas station fuel pump, the diesel one is bigger and cannot enter the orifice in the filler neck of an unleaded petrol car. However; putting petrol into a diesel car is no problem at all :p

·
Registered
105 Posts
PMackey said:

Putting diesel into a petrol car is different though, diesel won't ignite as easilly as petrol, hence why it has to be compressed to explode. Never heard of anyone I know putting diesel into a petrol but I would think that the engine wouldn't survive to well with diesel in it.
And I know four people who have wrecked their common rail diesels by putting petrol in them - Mercedes A-class's are a particular problem, as you have to take the engine out to repair it = instant write off.

One of my friends owns both a diesel and a petrol, and keeps putting diesel in the petrol. As long as there is some petrol in there the car will run, however it produces tons of black smoke. If you've only put a little diesel in there, you can dilute it and carry on, otherwise it's siphon the tank time.

Simon.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I was watching a girl I used to work with at a petrol station trying to put diesel into a petrol courtesy car whilst her diesel car was being fixed. Luckily it wouldn't fit in the narrow neck of the tank, but even then she didn't twig, and the garage attendant had to point out her error.

Buck

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
How about this :eek:

I worked in a petrol; station in my student days and there were a few "wrong fillers" but one day the worst thing happened.

Imagine a normal day, me stting there eating "free" Polo's and getting high on petrol fumes wafting into the shop. The Tanker driver arrives and we make sure he has an exit route (incase of fire n' stuff) and sign all the paperwork. He does his thing and drives off. A couple of hours later a car sputtered and broke down, then another, then another and so on. We (the staff) go out to investigate thinking we had a batch of muppets on our hands. To our shock there were about another 8 cars upto half a mile up the road which had broken down. Can you guess yet...?

After much shouting and an investigation it turned out the tanker driver had picked up the wrong tanker (don't ask me how) which was full of water. :D

In total 34 cars had to be repaired/rebuilt.

·
Premium Member
38,311 Posts
mikeruss said:
How about this :eek:

I worked in a petrol; station in my student days and there were a few "wrong fillers" but one day the worst thing happened.

Imagine a normal day, me stting there eating "free" Polo's and getting high on petrol fumes wafting into the shop. The Tanker driver arrives and we make sure he has an exit route (incase of fire n' stuff) and sign all the paperwork. He does his thing and drives off. A couple of hours later a car sputtered and broke down, then another, then another and so on. We (the staff) go out to investigate thinking we had a batch of muppets on our hands. To our shock there were about another 8 cars upto half a mile up the road which had broken down. Can you guess yet...?

After much shouting and an investigation it turned out the tanker driver had picked up the wrong tanker (don't ask me how) which was full of water. :D

In total 34 cars had to be repaired/rebuilt.
This gives a whole new meaning to the word "hybrid"... :cheese: :cheese: :cheese:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts