Alfa Romeo Forum banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Are you just planning on doing the mid section panel replacement? The front bit that you cleaned up didn't look too great in one of the earlier photos (it may just have been the photo though) - would it not be worth replacing that as well while you're getting the mid section done?
Right hand sill with worst corrosion seemed to have most of the rot in centre section, I think the front section after cleaning up was actually OK apart from a few pin holes , however seemed quite solid around these however will get a second opinion. May require a small patch, plan to take the front wing off on that side to also inspect a little further. Sorry cannot get to it at the moment for a better picture.

Also on this side I just wire brushed down front and rear sections and only temp applied some Hydrate 80 . The blue tape 1.5cm wide was left on so that hydrate 80 did not go on areas that may need welding, although I suspect only surface is converted and any metal underneath can be got to.

At rear you will the tape is just in front of the mid to rear seam.(panel overlap) I would suspect the repair panel will be pushed forward a bit possibly from just under the rubber bung in picture. The total length of the repair panel is a bit longer than the centre section about 3cm from memory from widest area of overlap if that makes any sense.

I will get some advice when repair being carried out, as obviously only want to do this once!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Right hand sill with worst corrosion seemed to have most of the rot in centre section, I think the front section after cleaning up was actually OK apart from a few pin holes , however seemed quite solid around these however will get a second opinion. May require a small patch, plan to take the front wing off on that side to also inspect a little further. Sorry cannot get to it at the moment for a better picture.

Also on this side I just wire brushed down front and rear sections and only temp applied some Hydrate 80 . The blue tape 1.5cm wide was left on so that hydrate 80 did not go on areas that may need welding, although I suspect only surface is converted and any metal underneath can be got to.

At rear you will the tape is just in front of the mid to rear seam.(panel overlap) I would suspect the repair panel will be pushed forward a bit possibly from just under the rubber bung in picture. The total length of the repair panel is a bit longer than the centre section about 3cm from memory from widest area of overlap if that makes any sense.

I will get some advice when repair being carried out, as obviously only want to do this once!
I thought I could see some small holes in one of the photos, so wasn't sure if it would be best to just replace that part too.

This is the worst part of mine:
IMG_20191229_120545327.jpg
Hoping I've caught it early enough. That's the drivers side, the rest of the driver's side doesn't look too bad:
IMG_20191229_120522460.jpg

Passenger's side is a bit better:
IMG_20191229_122619435_HDR.jpg

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Ian your sills look very good by comparison. I do think you have done at the right time. It is better to know this is done and sorted.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ian your sills look very good by comparison. I do think you have done at the right time. It is better to know this is done and sorted.
Yeah I was pleasantly surprised after the photos of some sills I've seen floating around on the web. The driver's side had required a bit of welding at the mid to rear section the end of last year, but hoping no more will be required.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I’ve just done the offside sill with a new sill from partsworld I got it early last year before Gary started doing the repair panel and paid £80 for it. I was able to sort the lip on the near side and rust treat it.

Attachments

61 - 65 of 65 Posts