Alfa Romeo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Front section after a tidy up followed by rear. Just the middle that will need some major TLC and welding. Totally Alfa may have an outer sill repair panel to help do the job. Will know more next week.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Rear right wheel arch liner removed. Not too bad , some light sanding back in a few places, treatment applied then painted and under sealed. Few small bubbles beginning to form on wheel arch itself however minor compared to that centre sill section.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I had a major problem on my old GTV in the sills area. You don't really know what's going on with these cars until you remove the sill covers and all the wheel arch liners and have a really good look. Here's some photos from my old GTV - unfortunately the tin worm had gone too far and she became a donor car.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Here's a before & after of a sill end plate that was welded onto my current GTV.

Phil: Good work so far! Hopefully you will be able to get full access into the sills to get at all the corrosion. I welded where required, used rust converter, washed, repainted and then protected. The holes in the end plates helped me to access some areas deep in the sills. I also found the all the wheel arches are really vulnerable, however the upper rear areas were the worst affected.

Lots of these areas are hidden so we rarely get to see these areas. Over the years I have fully stripped 3 x GTVs back to their shells, in every one I found varying degrees of rust. Sills, wheel arches, boot and cabin floor are weak points. To see the cabin floor you have to lift the carpet, IIRC you can peel the carpet back a bit with the sill covers off. There seems to be a weak joint line across the rear seat footwell area which corrodes as the underseal breaks up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
A couple of pics of the boot & cabin floor areas - before being worked on.

I made an extra circular hole at the lowest point of the boot that now has a rubber bung fitted; this is the natural drain point for any unwanted water/condensation in the boot area.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Phil: I take it there was a rubber bung in your sill end plate? There's not one in your photo.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Cheers Matt yes was a rubber bung I just took it out to have a look further into the sill. My corrosion seems to me limited to the outer face, front and rear sections not very bad just centre section. I will lift the carpet edges and have a look under as well. Thanks for the pictures really helpful. I am glad I have stated uncovering now dispute initial shock.

Spent today changing a clutch slave cylinder on my 147, so hopefully back to GTV tomorrow.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Rear right wheel arch liner removed. Not to bad , some light sanding back in a few places, treatment applied then painted and under sealed. Few small bubbles beginning to form on wheel arch itself however minor compared to that centre sill section.
Planning on doing mine soon. What kind of treatment did you apply to the rust?

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Planning on doing mine soon. What kind of treatment did you apply to the rust?
Hi Ian all of the following available on Amazon The Hammerite stuff also available in Eurocar parts.

Once surface rust sanded back,
Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80 (500ml)

This is a bit like Krust as is a converter however much bigger bottle. Suggest you pour out a bit at a time as you use.

“ edit having looked a passenger sill” For within sills or cavities where you can’t reach with he Hydrate 80 and a paintbrush , have found the following.

DINITROL RC900 RUST CONVERTER PRIMER 400ml CAN + EXTENSION NOZZLE PREVENTION

Then paint arrears you can see with
,Hammerite 5158235 Metal Paint, Smooth Black, 1L

followed by once dry a coating of
Black Underbody Seal Aerosol With Waxoyl 600ml Hammerite Underseal

For within any cavities / sills areas pretreated with DINITROL spray
Bilt Hamber Dynax S-50 Anti-Corrosion Wax (750ml) on insides.

As sill on my drivers side will be getting some welding will do the internals o this after sillrepaired.
Took some time to spray inside subframe etc which will give this a bit more internal protection.

Have been doing bits on my other Alfa’s today, and have put GTV back in garage lined up to start taking apart passenger side.

Will see if I get any time after work in evenings if not will be next weekend. Will report my findings fingers crossed.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi Ian all of the following available on Amazon The Hammerite stuff also available in Eurocar parts.

Once surface rust sanded back,
Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80 (500ml)

This is a bit like Krust as is a converter however much bigger bottle. Suggest you pour out a bit at a time as you use. Then painted with
,Hammerite 5158235 Metal Paint, Smooth Black, 1L

followed by once dry a coating of
Black Underbody Seal Aerosol With Waxoyl 600ml Hammerite Underseal

For within any cavities plan to spray
Bilt Hamber Dynax S-50 Anti-Corrosion Wax (750ml) on insides.

As sills will be getting some welding will do this after sills repaired.
Took some time to spray inside subframe etc which will give this a bit more internal protection.

Have been doing bits on my other Alfa’s today, and have put GTV back in garage lined up to start taking apart passenger side. Will see if I get any time after work in evenings if not will be next weekend. Will report my findings fingers crossed.
Thanks. I found the drivers side of mine was worse than the passenger so fingers crossed your passenger one is better. I'm hoping mine can be treated without the need for welding.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Ok have started taking apart passenger side.

Front of the sill looks worst this time, however having had a good scrape it is still solid so can be treated. Hooray so welding this side.

I little corrosion at rear of sill again having now had agood scrape is solid under the surface rust so can be treated.

underneath rear wheel arch liners very good will treat the small spots of surface corrosion and underseal prior to replacing arch liner.

Looking through the rubber bung hole on rear arch can see a bit of rust within sill. A bit trickier on how I will get a rust converter in at that before the Dynax anti corrosion wax.

Very relieved no welding this side required and think I have caught in time. Wish I had done the check and removal as soon as I bought the car a few years back, and recommend anyone else who has a GTV goes through the Sill cover removal and rear wheel arch liner removal. These are hiding any damage that may have occurred over 20 years. Although need to be brave and although some effort now could make all the difference to a simple repair that will be good for another 20 years.

Also would keep some photo records of doing as think this will be important for confidence if you are keeping and you can be satisfied yours is then OK. Likewise if you were ever to sell being able to show a future buyer done think puts you in a great position vs them having an unknown.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
You can get the rust converter in spray can form, that should help down the sills.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
You can get the rust converter in spray can form, that should help down the sills.
Good point, I have just ordered although not cheap DINITROL RC900 RUST CONVERTER PRIMER 400ml CAN + EXTENSION NOZZLE PREVENTION I think this will do the trick inside sill before then injecting with the S50 wax once dry.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts

passenger side sill all done. Slight rippling of underseal on top of the hammerite paint. I suspect hammerite had not fully dried through, not worried lots of protection on sill both inside and out and will have sill cover over. I think some of the issues come from blocked drainage in sill seams due to bad jacking over years.

All looking good for wheel arch liners to go back nice new ones. You do have a few injection moulding lumps to sand down or will rub your nicely painted and treated archeswhen refitted. Hence drill with sanding wheel.

Oh bugger no one said almost impossible to refit these, checking forums suggest rear bumper off.

Even with rear bumper off which created own issues (rounded Allen bolt!) seems impossible to refit so gave up last night as cold. Brought arch liner back into house and have hung it over a towel rad. Hopefully will get back on later today.

Will report back later today.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
In all the bits yesterday forgot to say package arrived from Totally Alfa, thanks a Gary.

Just as a reminder my drivers side sill was the real issue.

From Gary an outer sill repair panel.

Photo just to show how this would fit , once rot cut away and welded in. Sorry bad photo car on jack and stands tight against wall while I have been working on passenger side. Hopefully gives an idea of how these are designed for the repair. Alfa Romeo GTV/Spider Outer Side Sill Repair Section | Totally Alfa

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Passenger side arch liner back in. What a pain. Next for the drivers side arch liner. Will follow same as other and put on a towel rad for an hour, while doing something else. Technical this however they need to be warm to just about get enough flex to refit. Will do a bit of maintenance in boot floor as needed to remove the carpet to get bumper off. Generally very good a few tiny surface areas a bit of rust converter and will be coated inside with some underseal.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Very impressed, I also had no idea that Totally Alfa did sill repair panels. Did you just specify the length of metal you wanted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Very impressed, I also had no idea that Totally Alfa did sill repair panels. Did you just specify the length of metal you wanted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think I may be the first to get one, Gary will make to size you need. I ordered mine at 84cm which is a amount 2cm longer than original entire mid centre section of sill. My thoughts are whoever does the cut and welding for me can trim down if need be so thought safer to be over than under on size. I will try and get more photo as I go. Suspect it may be another weekend on bits and bobs I am doing before I get to the stage car ready for the welding, however will follow this up with what I do after etc.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think I may be the first to get one, Gary will make to size you need. I ordered mine at 84cm which is a amount 2cm longer than original entire mid centre section of sill. My thoughts are whoever does the cut and welding for me can trim down if need be so thought safer to be over than under on size. I will try and get more photo as I go. Suspect it may be another weekend on bits and bobs I am doing before I get to the stage car ready for the welding, however will follow this up with what I do after etc.
Are you just planning on doing the mid section panel replacement? The front bit that you cleaned up didn't look too great in one of the earlier photos (it may just have been the photo though) - would it not be worth replacing that as well while you're getting the mid section done?

41 - 60 of 65 Posts