Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a look at a thread on Pistonheads, there was a rather worrying pic of a 2001 GTV with nasty rust behind the covers.

I am going to have to have a look at mine. Other than the obvious retaining screws is there anything else I need to do to get them off - is it normally relatively straightforward?

Ta!

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
its straight forward but be prepared for some of the clips holding it underneath to break rather than be removed, Not a lot you can do, easily available online or breakers,

·
Registered
78 Posts
Taking mine off was easy, there are screws on the inside of the cabin, underneath and there is one attached to the front arch liner.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALFA-ROMEO-Push-Type-Carpet-Replacement-Black-Plastic-Clip-Retainer-T56/151425363505?fits=Car+Make:Alfa+Romeo&epid=17017835750&hash=item2341a7ae31:g:sB0AAOSw7NNUJ~Ag:rk:8:pf:0

The white clips holding on the cover to the sill will get mangled taking them off but there are replacements on ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALFA-145-146-155-156-GTV-SIDE-SILL-SKIRT-TRIM-CLIPS-PLASTIC-LANCIA-DELTA/192457166420?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

·
Registered
334 Posts
I just had a look at a thread on Pistonheads, there was a rather worrying pic of a 2001 GTV with nasty rust behind the covers.

I am going to have to have a look at mine. Other than the obvious retaining screws is there anything else I need to do to get them off - is it normally relatively straightforward?

Ta!
The plastic clips were very "stuck" on mine, and although they just pull out, they needed a surprising amount of force to pop out. Luckily there was no rust but half of a farmers field had accumulated inbetween the plastic and the metal sills.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have managed to remove three of the external screws on one side. Unfortunately those remaining either turn but don't undo or move a 1/4 turn and refuse to go further. Maybe cutting a slot in the screw head and using a flat head screwdriver may be more successful? When I finally get the covers off I'm expecting the worst... My cup is always 1/2 empty!

·
Registered
10,575 Posts
Have you enough room to get a pair of mole grips pushed end on, it’s how I got mine off (ignore me if it’s utterly impossible, it may have been my 156) :jester:

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
There is indeed, they're plastic but the area around them can rust so they just spin, as can the screws themselves, so they just don't come out. The clips are also next to impossible to get hold of. I got some original from Italy in the end, for an extortionate price for some small bits of plastic.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Quick question to those who’ve already done it: once covers are off and assuming there isnt any rust to worry about, what did you you do to future proof the sills from any problems?
Did you use any rust prevention products?

·
Registered
109 Posts
A good job to do if you have the nerve to see what could be a nasty battleground.
I am going to take mine off as I suppose they have been there for 18 years, in England, stored outside??
With regard to 'future proofing them' I suppose you could argue that if they have survived 18 years then they are ok as they are just cleaned and re-assembled.
But! As we all know once you have removed them you will be thinking of them quietly rusting away. So some kind of future proofing is a must. Just for peace of mind.
I think the best thing to do is to inject the sill with a rust preventer, there are several products that come to mind to do that competently. Then as the sill is covered I think I would polish the sill and completely clean the plastic cover internally, then apply some grease to the outside of the sill before fitting the cover back on.
Be nice to have it done so that you know there are no surprises in store for later.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I used mole grips end on as well to remove the majority of the screws as mine were 22 years old rusty, with a bit of patience they will come out. If they shear don't worry as you can get to the remains once the sill cover is off.

Even once all of the screws are out the sill covers are still quite hard to remove so be prepared for some damage to the sill cover inners, you can epoxy these back on though. Surprisingly despite my car looking as if someone had dropped it in the Solent for 5 years the sills looked like they were brand new so hopefully you'll be lucky. My spares Spider however is the same age (96) and I could put my hand in through the rusted out sill nearly the entire length of one side once I removed the cover, it didn't fail the MoT (12 months earlier) on rust....................

I'm not at the rust prevention stage yet but removing the large rubber bung inside the rear wheel arch (hidden under the liner) gives you access. I'll be spraying lots and lots of dinitrol or similar in through there and the various other apertures you'll find once I'm finished.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Once the screws are removed along the bottom and the plastic fixings removed from under the door seal - is that it? I think I have everything done on one side but the cover is reluctant to move. Is it a matter of using a bit of force to get them of?

·
Registered
237 Posts
On mine I think it was 3 plastic screws at top under door rubber, 6 screws at bottom of sill and either 1 or 2 screws in the front arch near the bottom which had to be removed. It was still clipped in really tightly and took a bit of force to get it to release. I started from rear and once the first clip let go I could hold the rear of sill out a bit while inserting a bit of wood behind the plastic sill cover and working it down close to next clip and then twisting the wood to pop the next clip out.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok...got the nearside cover off; one beautiful solid sill has been revealed, plus some road debris and dirt. Still struggling with the offside - two rotating but not undoing screws.

Is there an approved method for sorting out bent seams caused by careless jacking or is it best left alone?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got the other one off - time for tea. Both sills are totally solid, paint in good condition under the dirt. I guess I didn't need to bother but it's good to know there is nothing worrying going on. I have spent quite a lot of time under the car sorting weak areas of underseal, anyone who thinks that they don't have to worry about rust needs to have a closer look. Both my GTV's show some areas of surface rust where the underseal has failed, small blisters appear under these there will be rust.

·
Registered
10,575 Posts
Got the other one off - time for tea. Both sills are totally solid, paint in good condition under the dirt. I guess I didn't need to bother but it's good to know there is nothing worrying going on. I have spent quite a lot of time under the car sorting weak areas of underseal, anyone who thinks that they don't have to worry about rust needs to have a closer look. Both my GTV's show some areas of surface rust where the underseal has failed, small blisters appear under these there will be rust.
Absolutely spot on, every car I buy I get straight underneath, Alfa thought me this :paranoid:

·
Registered
926 Posts
Ok...got the nearside cover off; one beautiful solid sill has been revealed, plus some road debris and dirt. Still struggling with the offside - two rotating but not undoing screws.

Is there an approved method for sorting out bent seams caused by careless jacking or is it best left alone?
Heat it mole grips and bend it back, simples

1 - 20 of 65 Posts