Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Aye, just posted about the Pogues in another thread, the only decent Christmas song.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Aye, just posted about the Pogues in another thread, the only decent Christmas song.
This is actually about 2 people whose lives are destroyed by drug abuse and alcoholism.

Merry Xmas...

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is actually about 2 people whose lives are destroyed by drug abuse and alcoholism.

Merry Xmas...

Oh no it isn't. :rolleyes: Your interpretation. Where's the drugs:confused: There is a whole documentary on it. BTW using "Xmas" instead of Christmas is an insult to people who look at it as a religious festival and not some kind of bloat fest. Please show some respect. :tut:

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Oh no it isn't. :rolleyes: Your interpretation. Where's the drugs:confused: There is a whole documentary on it. BTW using "Xmas" instead of Christmas is an insult to people who look at it as a religious festival and not some kind of bloat fest. Please show some respect. :tut:
Where's the drugs?

"You're an auld **** on junk, lying there almost dead on a drip in that bed".

Try listening to it again.

BTW CHRISTmas (happy now?) was nicked off the Pagans.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where's the drugs?

"You're an auld **** on junk, lying there almost dead on a drip in that bed".

Try listening to it again.

BTW CHRISTmas (happy now?) was nicked off the Pagans.
I've listened to it a million times. Students study it at school. :eek: Don't take it so literally. It's a story of hope. Not many junkies have a drip connected BTW. THAT is hard core. It's not a kiddie's carol BTW.

Pick all the songs you like and take their verses literally and apart from 'Baa baa black sheep' people could probably get upset. Songs and poetry are never meant to be taken verbatim. :thumbs:

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Oh Little Town of Bethlehem How still we see Thee lie. Now back to watching over those sheep, as tradition would have it? :D

·
Registered
11,449 Posts
Listen, every radio station will be playing this to death without any encouragement from you so please desist!

Because there's "a whole documentary on it" you feel justified?? :rolleyes:
And as for `Xmas' being an insult to "people who look at it as a religious festival", the very notion was hi-jacked from the mid-winter festival by the completely contrived new religion of Christianity!!

Christ was a misunderstood Jew, railing against Roman occupation of his homeland; he had no intention of founding a new religion.
Blame the Emperor Constantine for the Roman Empire adopting Christianity as it's official religion and choosing the convenient supporting texts!

This appropriation of a pagan (or much older!) tradition by an upstart invented religion offends me, so anyone offended by an "X" needs to learn some history and XXXX off!

P.S. - my vote goes to Run Run Rudolph ..... - YouTube

:thumbs:

HAPPY XMAS!!:):)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
This appropriation of a pagan (or much older!) tradition by an upstart invented religion offends me, so anyone offended by an "X" needs to learn some history and XXXX off!
That's the (Yuletide) spirit! :thumbs:

:lol:

WRT the song. Shame McGowan isn't really renowned for his soppy XMas carol writing. :lol:

You scumbag, you maggot, you cheap lousy faggot.
Happy Christmas your arse, I pray go it's our last.
:confused: :lol:

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
He does like Christmas though.

ANOTHER Pogues reunion tour? Must be December....

For the record, I love the Pogues, they are one of my favourite bands. I'm not having a downer on them... just the one song that has got a bit clichéd.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He does like Christmas though.

ANOTHER Pogues reunion tour? Must be December....

For the record, I love the Pogues, they are one of my favourite bands. I'm not having a downer on them... just the one song that has got a bit clichéd.
I get your point. :thumbs: I never realised that apparently the song is played all the time in the U.K. at Christmas. Over here it's not exactly a Christmas standard, (not that I listen to the radio at all).

Actually I think poor old Shane is on his last legs due to the alcohol. It's a shame because he is an intelligent, well read guy who did/does have a unique talent. Some of the lyrics and music in Pogues stuff is up there with the best.

Actually I'm watching an Irish documentary on him right now on Youtube that goes for two hours and I can't get over how sad his eyes are at times. He can still express himself but I fear he's well into the final stages of Korsakoff Syndrome. :rolleyes:

In case anyone is interested.

Shane MacGowan: If I Should Fall From Grace - YouTube

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
One of my least favourite 'yuletide' songs...

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I love it, but I couldn't tell you why. :lol:

I think it must be something to do with its earthy honesty. It certainly makes a contrast to all the other saccharine Christmas songs.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I get your point. :thumbs: I never realised that apparently the song is played all the time in the U.K. at Christmas. Over here it's not exactly a Christmas standard, (not that I listen to the radio at all).

Actually I think poor old Shane is on his last legs due to the alcohol. It's a shame because he is an intelligent, well read guy who did/does have a unique talent. Some of the lyrics and music in Pogues stuff is up there with the best.

Actually I'm watching an Irish documentary on him right now on Youtube that goes for two hours and I can't get over how sad his eyes are at times. He can still express himself but I fear he's well into the final stages of Korsakoff Syndrome. :rolleyes:

In case anyone is interested.

Shane MacGowan: If I Should Fall From Grace - YouTube
Well I've just finished watching this documentary. Very harrowing experience. If you want to see the dark side of creating art I suggest you watch it. Very sad is all I can say at this point. Hope he gets through, though I feel it's too late. All I can do at this stage is quote a line from "Astral Weeks" by another great Irish artist Van Morrison... "I ain't nothing but a stranger in this world".

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
^^ :thumbs: :lol:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts