Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
147. 1.6 lusso. Hi i need my cambelt changing, i have done 40.000 miles and cant afford this until next month, im just about to take the car on holiday and not sure if i should!!. Will it last another long journey?? Are there any signs of failure!!

Also engine sounds like a diesel all the time even after driving for an hour, even after a variator change last time and no improvemnts any ideas??

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
You really are risking it ... 40k between cambelt changes is really not recommended ... so you can't afford the cambelt change this month, but can you afford a new engine next month? I hate to say it but if it's purely down to cash flow then it might be worth putting it on a CC, at least you'll get 56 days interest free ...

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
It may be ok, but it is borrowed time.

How can you have had a variator change? It needs to come out when the cambelt is done! :eek: Or do you mean, it's been 40,000 miles since the last cambelt change?

The variator does wear quicker if the engines been running low on oil.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its been 37.000 since the variator change and timing belts were done. just checked the service book.
Dont have a credit card and dont reali want one, good idea though!!
might try and borrow another car then. Does the belt just snap with no signs.
Also shouldnt you notice the engine alot quiter after the variaitor chaneg cos last time i did not reli notice,not sure if the indie even changed it!!!

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
its been 37.000 since the variator change and timing belts were done. just checked the service book.
Dont have a credit card and dont reali want one, good idea though!!
might try and borrow another car then. Does the belt just snap with no signs.
Also shouldnt you notice the engine alot quiter after the variaitor chaneg cos last time i did not reli notice,not sure if the indie even changed it!!!
More importantly, how many years has it been since the change.

The tensioner normally fails which causes the belt failure. Not normally the belt itself.

Sounds like it hasnt been changed if it still sounded like a transit when you started it.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Might be worth having a look at the old invoice, usually parts like that are listed separately (to justify the cost!!!) ...

... I must admit that I ran my old TS for 53k before I decided to get the belt changed (but by then I'd run it low on oil so the big end was knocking ... so I scrapped it) ... all depends on you luck really ...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its been just under 2 years since i changed the belts, but have done around 38,000 miles, im gona have to risk it and then it will get done in four weeks time!!
the engine seems to knock a little bit too, has this been previously run low on iol. its not reali loud but you can hear it. Can this be quitened down with an oil change or is this thier for life now. Thinking of selling her 51 plate and buying a newer 147 but in two years ive not had alot wrong with it and dont want it to start falling apart now its nearly hit 100.000 miles??

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Have a look at the 100k+ alfa's thread on here ... there are lots still going, all they need is to be serviced correctly, although from the sounds of it yours hasn't been oiled correctly. The knocking is now there for life unfortunately, it might get worse, but then again might not ... although with the knocking you're going to have a hard time selling it (unless of course you part-ex it with a stealer who will probably only look at the book price and not bother to even start the engine) so it might be worth just keeping onto it and run it until it dies ...

(but then you can always justify to yourself that you "need" a new(er) car ...)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts