Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!
I was out yesterday in my '89 S3 Spider and noticed instrumentation faults as follows:
Speedo and rev counter needles fluctuating wildly over approx 60 degree arc
Odometer no longer operating
All auxilliary gauges off
Battery/charging warning light on

After some 5 minutes evwerything started working again....for 10 minutes then faults repeated.
I have looked at various threads on this type of fault but cannot find anything that matches this. Having studied the workshop manual electrical diagrams I still cannot find a common component that would cause all of these problems.
Car starts and runs well and cannot believe that I have several faults all ocurring at the same time.

Any thoughts please?

Martin B

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
fuses 7 and 8 control speedo and aux guages.
Remove the fuse box, turn it around to access the rear, and clean the block connections behind that feed these fuses with a proper electrical contact spray and an old toothbrush.
.....worth a shot!

My radio would go off and the ariel went down everytime I turned on my indicators;)..cleaned the block connection behind fuse 5 which controlled both and now working again correctly.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
fuses 7 and 8 control speedo and aux guages.
Remove the fuse box, turn it around to access the rear, and clean the block connections behind that feed these fuses with a proper electrical contact spray and an old toothbrush.
.....worth a shot!

My radio would go off and the ariel went down everytime I turned on my indicators;)..cleaned the block connection behind fuse 5 which controlled both and now working again correctly.
I love Alfa's, never a dull moment

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you one and all for your replies and suggestions. I agree that it is most probably an electrical fault .

Mr Dunamis - I would never laugh/ignore any response on this forum; grateful for any help/reply.

Have to agree with Joe that life is never boring with an Alfa........ will get back to you all once I have sorted the problem.

Thank you

Martin B

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Thank you one and all for your replies and suggestions. I agree that it is most probably an electrical fault .

Mr Dunamis - I would never laugh/ignore any response on this forum; grateful for any help/reply.

Have to agree with Joe that life is never boring with an Alfa........ will get back to you all once I have sorted the problem.

Thank you

Martin B
Thank you Martin that is most gracious of you; I appreciate that:thumbs:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts