Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So had a very GTV weekend this weekend. Had a long list of jobs to do, and thought I would have a good look around her.

Discovered:
  1. Radiator support bracket that runs across front of car rusty as hell
  2. Lots of oil behind downpipe, looks like OS of gearbox leak
  3. Rad Fan Carrier welds broken and whole unit just floating around as radiator bracket welds gone as well. Plastic wiring channel has been *******ised to enable non genuine radiator to fit - FFS
  4. Looks like steering rack leaking too.
She also needs a clutch as the release fork is sticking, the tax runs out end of the month and the Cambelt service is due.

Looks like an expensive month for me.

On a plus note I refurbished the calipers and painted the rusty support bar with hammerite.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
The support bars do rust badly but they can be changed in less than 30 mins and new rads are on ebay at £61.00.This is possibly normal maintainance due to age and type.Just spotted yours is a v6 so maybe the rads cost a hell of a lot more.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I painted as much I could get to, vast improvement. Spoke to Autolusso today and booked in for cambelt service, OS driveshaft seal and clutch. Support bar and broken rad brackets will have to wait a month or two! My wife hates this car!!

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I sold my Brera S to keep costs down. D'oh!

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Keep up the good work Chaps :thumbs:

Cheers
MC

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
All progressing well

Clutch is done and starting on the cam belt

The reason the clutch was dragging was the release was dragging on the front oil seal trumpet

Ned
Wow - that's a sight for sore eyes. A workshop with several Alfas and a lift in the middle.
If I move to England, can I come and work there? :p

-Alex

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
I've never heard of a front oil seal trumpet before.

I can't say it gives me the horn.

Is that one in the background Atoll Blue?

Thanks for the photos. They go large when clicked on. :)

Is that a V6 with the catalysed manifolds or just a shroud?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cam belt, tensioner, idlers and water pump etc done, oil filter fitted while engine out and now all going back in and ready for collection tomorrow :thumbs:

Ned
Looking forward to getting her back, just pop any left over bits in the glove box :lol:

Cheers
MC

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I figured its the last big spend for 3-4 years, and everything else on the car is sound. Besides buying something else at the 3-5k end of the market is a risk. Better the devil you know!

Cheers
MC

·
Premium Member
7,045 Posts
I figured its the last big spend for 3-4 years, and everything else on the car is sound. Besides buying something else at the 3-5k end of the market is a risk. Better the devil you know!

Cheers
MC
It is also one of the nicest GTV's out there

Just freeing off the adjusters for 4 wheel alignment then good to go

Ned

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.