Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I recently purchased a 156 2.4 10v JTD and have sorted out a few teething problems which I knew about before I bought it. However, in the last couple of days I kept noticing this little red light blink for half a second then vanish when accelerating, thought I was going mad at first as its only happened a few times. I finally caught it in the act this morning on the way to work looked in the book and it tells me its the injection system warning light. I have searched on forums and found numerous posts regarding the potential problem. Mine is remapped and although pulls very well its not 'clean' with a sometimes noticeable 'stall' in power when booting it on to a motorway from the slip road. Now, trying to summarise potential causes:

MAF
EGR
Turbo

Is there anything else it could be? Is it worth putting some injector cleaner through it as it was standing for a month before I picked it up? Turbo was replaced at around 80k I believe and I am now on 130k so I am hoping its not that!? I used to own a 155 and the MAF was clear as anything to see but I cant find it on the JTD, any hints?? I assume if I unplug it and go for a run I would see an improvement if that was at fault? Thanks for your help !

·
Registered
87 Posts
Download the fiat ecu scan software and putchase a £7 lead from ebay if you have a laptop and read the fault codes yourself, this will eliminate all the guessing

Before I had a laptop I took my desktop system to the car, a little drastic but needs must

·
Registered
87 Posts
I used one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-VAG-COM-409-1-OBD-2-II-CABLE-LEAD-AUDI-VW-VAG-/220518250615

You have to solder a wire between pins 3 and 7 to access the airbag ecu

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
could be a bad remap.......does the power back right off? if so could be overboost
id check who remapped it if u can find out...that would allways be first point of call for me as u could chase ur ass forver
maf aint ur prob......nor is egr....that bogs ur car down then leaves a smoke screen.......turbo is fine.....cos overboost puts mcsf light on

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
could be a bad remap.......does the power back right off? if so could be overboost
id check who remapped it if u can find out...that would allways be first point of call for me as u could chase ur ass forver
maf aint ur prob......nor is egr....that bogs ur car down then leaves a smoke screen.......turbo is fine.....cos overboost puts mcsf light on
Car was maintained at the same Alfa garage for 5 years and I think they did the remap, will look into their credentials! I'm getting no smoke at all but the power does seem to bog down at certain points, I have not managed to replicate the conditions yet so it appears to happen at random. The light that comes on is a red empty square by battery and oil light, is this the mcsf you mention? Ta

1 - 7 of 7 Posts