Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased my car a couple of years ago I noticed the sideskirts at the front on both sides looked bent outwards a little. I thought they would need replacing, but read somewhere recently they are only stuck. Is this correct?

Today (Saturday) I pushed them in with ease but sprang back out again. What's the best way of permanently fixing them?

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Hammer a nails.

No I joke you can use body adhesive like tigerseal to stick those back on. Be careful though once stuck. Its never coming off.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hammer a nails.

No I joke you can use body adhesive like tigerseal to stick those back on. Be careful though once stuck. Its never coming off.
Thanks scotty.

Presumably you can only buy this from the internet?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks scotty.

Presumably you can only buy this from the internet?
I've ordered a tube of Tiger Seal off the tinternet. Will I need to clamp the skirt until it dries or sets? Gluing door seals is a new experience for me.

Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Good info to have, i am trying to source some sideskirts for our newly bought SW to make it look a bit neater. At least i know how to fit them :)

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Park by a wall and then use pieces of wood to keep pressure on the skirt while the glue sets. I've put 2 self tapping screws in mine just to make sure.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Park by a wall and then use pieces of wood to keep pressure on the skirt while the glue sets. I've put 2 self tapping screws in mine just to make sure.
Mmmm... novel suggestion, but unless I can find a suitable piece of wood (correct length) It'll be a no no. I live in the country and there aren't any walls (brick ones at least) nearby. Also I don't want to scratch the paintwork on the sill either. Whether a padded material or thick cloths will suffice - I'll have to ponder that one over the coming days.

·
Registered
11,914 Posts
Mmmm... novel suggestion, but unless I can find a suitable piece of wood (correct length) It'll be a no no. I live in the country and there aren't any walls (brick ones at least) nearby. Also I don't want to scratch the paintwork on the sill either. Whether a padded material or thick cloths will suffice - I'll have to ponder that one over the coming days.
A tree would do just as well as a wall;) in fact anything solid or weighty enough to brace against to apply pressure.
If you use a piece of wood/ stick that is thin enough to bend a bit the exact length is less important.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Mmmm... novel suggestion, but unless I can find a suitable piece of wood (correct length) It'll be a no no. I live in the country and there aren't any walls (brick ones at least) nearby.
House of sticks/straw no good for holding on side skirts it's true.

Make sure you know whats pushing them out before you try to stick them on. If it's popped off one of the clips you need to remove it or slide it back on before you glue it or it will keep popping off no matter what. They aren't glued on from the factory they have plastic clips along the sides at intervals that hold the top of the skirt tight against the sill and they slide onto them. if you want to do the job properly they are not expensive to get but it is a bugger to get the skirt to slide onto them all at the same time.1 or 2 mates makes it better.
And a word of warning Tiger Seal is BRILLIANT but a continuous line of it just below the top edge of your skirt will form a barrier and keep water there for extended periods where as the clips allow the water to run behind the skirt and out at the bottom. If you are going to Tiger Seal it the silicone need to be right up to the top edge so rain water has to run over the outside of the skirt not get trapped behind it.
I glued mine on with Tiger seal as suggested but then ran a thin bead of the best match I could find from this lot
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mapei-AC-silicone-sealant-310ml-tube-Available-in-38-colours-/200924901852
to disguise the very black line that was showing in a couple of places.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
You'll certainly need some method to compress the skirt to the body if the glue is to work. The clips had broken on mine and there was evidence of failed repairs in the past using a double sided tape. The tiger seal will need clean surfaces and time to stick while being compressed.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll make sure the surfaces are clean and I'll have to improvise a way of pushing the sill tight.

Think this is a perfect Heath Robinson example.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts