Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I've just bought my first 159. The sidelight was gone on the offside when i bought it so i removed the nearside bulb just too check it was the bulb and not the wiring, it was fine.

I've attempted to put a new bulb on the nearside but the holder won't come out enough to insert the new bulb. I've waved my phonecamera in the back of the unit and I can see that one of its wires (grey) has been caught.

I can see the plastic clip at the top of the unit that is holding the wire but i cant access it to unscrew the torx bolt, the wire is firmly pinched on and can't be unhooked by hand:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-kT_3by-NjZNkYwTkJhUUNZd0U/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-kT_3by-NjZdmdQRFdjQVlpeU0/view?usp=sharing

Is there an easy way to release this as I hear that you have to remove the bumper to remove the headlight unit and that sounds like a faff just to light up the sidelight!!

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Not a lot I can add, but I had similar issues, though with a lot of faff I managed to get the bulb in. Thankful resolved after being parked and the car being hit, resulting in new front end (inc new light units)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not a lot I can add, but I had similar issues, though with a lot of faff I managed to get the bulb in. Thankful resolved after being parked and the car being hit, resulting in new front end (inc new light units)
[/color
Thanks Giblets46

Its a real pig and just not enough wire to let me push a bulb in there (2 of us have spent an hour trying with no luck).

If its my only option, how long does it take to get the bumper off? Is it a hard job getting it back on and looking good?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had the same problem with mine. Chances are it was like that when it left the factory. I was ready to take the bumper off and do it that way but a local alfa indi sorted it by cutting the wire and soldering and heat shrinking it all through the bulb hole. I must have been out there for two hours in the dead of winter trying to sort it out.. I imagine a local auto electrician can probably sort for the cost of an hours labour.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the same problem with mine. Chances are it was like that when it left the factory. I was ready to take the bumper off and do it that way but a local alfa indi sorted it by cutting the wire and soldering and heat shrinking it all through the bulb hole. I must have been out there for two hours in the dead of winter trying to sort it out.. I imagine a local auto electrician can probably sort for the cost of an hours labour.
Always good to hear that someone else suffers the same pain kevmarks.

I had been wondering about that option, I'd ruled it out as being too fidly.

Think i'll take the bumper off though as Im tight and i like to fiddle with these things (queue the post where im eating these words, lol).

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts