Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry guys but where are the side lights???? I cant find them anywhere! I only have three options, no headlamps, normal headlamps or full beam? :confused:

·
Registered
27 Posts
You have to go into your Menu, select 'Daytime Lights' and turn them on. They'll be permanently on if you leave the option set that way, but that's the only 'switch'
Also if it's the same as the FIAT 500, having the daytime running lights on doesn't switch the rear lights on.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yeah but have you seen the weather up her janitor?? Its crazy, one minute sunny, you can go a couple of miles and its dull - on with the sidelights.

i think Ill just keep mine on

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah but have you seen the weather up her janitor?? Its crazy, one minute sunny, you can go a couple of miles and its dull - on with the sidelights.

i think Ill just keep mine on
Leaving the issue of the DRLs aside, I've never really understood the point of sidelights - if it's dingy why not just put headlights on?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OOOOH that what day lights are in the menu! always wondered. That is a right pain though! on my old clio it was much easier and could just switch them on/off via the indicator stick. I think I’ll just leave them on permanently!

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
your not aloud to drive whith purely side lights on, thats why there stated as day lights. i just leave mine on

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
your not aloud to drive whith purely side lights on, thats why there stated as day lights. i just leave mine on
Now im just confused. Side lights = day lights right? So your not aloud to drive with day/side lights on even though the new audis have those twinkle day lights? :confused:

·
Registered
309 Posts
ooo?? So that daylight thing is actually sidelights?? I've wondered wt it is aswell but never bothered 2 ask lol
So wait... daylight thing = side light?? So when do I need it on?? If I switch it on wud it be on all the time!? Even when its sunny?!

·
Registered
270 Posts
DRLs are not the same as Side Lights. Day Time Running lamps are a completely different class of lamp that is to become mandatory from 2011 onwards. They are a much more intense lamp that is to be used to notify the presence of your vehicle to other road traffic whilst it is moving during the daylight hours. DRLs come on with the ignition and do not light the rear tail lights.
Side lights both front and rear, are currently mandatory and they should come on when you turn on your lights. The purpose of these is to give warning to other road users of your presence during conditions where visibility is reduced. DRLs will turn off when side lights are turned on, as DRLs are too bright for these conditions and will cause glare problems (they are intended to be seen against the high ambient brightness of daylight). Side lights are for the benefit of other road users. Low beam headlights are solely for the benefit of the driver, and only need to be turned on when light levels become low enough that the driver needs extra lighting to be able to see where he is going. In reality, there is no point in turning on your low beams until you can actually see the light they emit on the road. If you turn them on before this then you are just wasting fuel.
So to summarise,
DRLs come on with the ignition and will be mandatory from 2011.
Side Lights come on when you turn on your lights, and the DRLs will turn off.
Low beams come on at the second position of the light switch, Side Lights will remain lit.
I do not know why there appears to be no Side Light function on the Mito, by law there has to be. If anybody tries to tell you that that is what the DRLs are for then they are bull*****ting you.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I made sure I switched my DRLs off as soon as I got my car. The safety Nazis may be insisting they are compulsory from 2011 but I really hate it when people insist on shining their light at you in perfectly good daylight. Pointless - the only purpose they serve is to annoy.

If your eyes aren't good enough to see a one tonne car in broad daylight, then you shouldn't be driving!

There is no 'side light' position on the MiTo - it's either on full beam or off.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
the sidelights come on with dipped beam.

i always drive with lights on, a thing i learnt from riding motorbikes.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts