Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, I have a side light out on my 2.0 JTS GT. Quick look under bonnet looks a bit tight! Halfords wont touch it as their 'computer says NO!' its too complex (still, no surprise there!)
Anyone any tips?, is this a DIYer or down to trusted Alfa dealer...... back securing screws look very inaccesable, my only other thought being maybe to take the light cluster out from the front? :confused:

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
If you have smallish hands it isn't too hard, matey:) They should be a small plastic lever on the bulb holder that you need to pull to remove the bulb (it is easy to break off and if its not there a gentle tug on the wires should remove the holder). Once the new bulb (halogen costing a bomb:() is in the holder turn the side lights on so you can poke the bulb into cluster easily and push to secure it. Just take your time and be gentle and it shouldnt be too much of a hassle:thumbs:

P.S to remove the unit you need to drop the bumper so I would have a go this way first:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree, you can do it yourself. I've fairly big hands and managed to change them, although with a fair bit of swearing! The biggest problem is not being able to see what you're doing so once I had the new bulb in the holder, I turned the side lights on so I could see from the front where it was. Halfords stock the bulbs but they're about £5 each
Phil

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
you can fiddle around, but i personally prefer to remove the light assemblies. but to do that, you have to take the front bumper off first. :D

i wrote a DIY tutorial about it. it's around, so find it. :)

:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Its no hastle, I have changed the offside bulb on mine twice in less than a year. The bulbs are rather pricey too. Its a bit of a fiddle but you can do it yourself.
Dave

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I've done it before-fiddly-but doable.

My hands ain't small and I ain't got no dexterity!

I thought that dropping the bumper was only really necessary if you have the xenons? (I don't)

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
i have massive hands and i got it right.. patience and a tall glass of coke

·
7,713 Posts
I thought that dropping the bumper was only really necessary if you have the xenons? (I don't)
probably. and probably more-so with a V6. sounds like it's do-able with say a JTD and non-xenons.

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
even with V6 and Xennons you dont need to drop bumper for the side lights

·
7,713 Posts
there was no way i could remove the rear cover of the headlight (it was difficult enough to undo the securing screws). just not enough space to manoevre. i'm unsure how you did it!

having taken the bumper off a few times, it's not a massive job anymore.

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
lol i swore allot

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK sounds like a fun afternoon in store then! I promise I will try and keep my patience (not known for it!)...and let you guys know how I get on! Is it 4 retaining screws for the back cover......I can see 3 and hope theres not a fourth lurking!

·
7,713 Posts
4 on mine, but i have xenons so i don't know if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Shiny, I think I have Xenons too?....They certainly are a very bluey bright light which Ive never had before on any vehicle! How would I know?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, 4 days in....and Ive managed 3 out of 4 retaining screws! I need a right angle screwdriver now...... Hey who said you needed patience!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, what can I say!...... Shiny Car you make it sound easy. The deed is finally done, the shiny new sidelight is installed. What an epic though......... Ive never had to remove a bumper from a car just to fit a sidelight before!!
Hey, I think Im finally getting what it means to own an Alfa..... What on earth is that all about? but im still madly in love with her....more so now weve got so aquainted!

P.S. My mechanic friend who helped with the whole operation, calls her......the stroppy ***! Charmin! ;-)

·
7,713 Posts
well done. it does seem excessive to have to remove the bumper, but i don't think our cars are the only marque that requires this. still, not the best design!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had my O/S front sidelight go, the second bulb on that side in less than a year so when I went to Halfords I bought a spare. Damn me if the N/S bulb didn't go before I had fitted the N/S so on Sunday I had two to fit. Took me about thirty minutes to do both. I know its a bit fiddly but all you do in pull the clips to one side, take off the cover, pull the sidelight unit out, fit a new bulb (trying not to touch the glass) and after a lot of fiddling and possibly swearing put the bulb holder back in the headlight unit. Am I missing something? Whats all this about taking the bumper off"?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Triumphracer,
I think its especially a pain if you have Xenons, because the back cover on those light units are held with 4 screws....which are a b*tch to get at! Even when I had got them off I couldnt see easily where the side bulb was......so had to resort to bumper removal! I must admit having taken the whole headlight unit out and into a warm kitchen did make the actual bulb change very easy. One little tip here too, when I resealed the back cover I dropped a little desicant pack in, to make sure no moisture got inside the sealed unit!
Also read with interest the other day that Xenons HAVE to be fitted with spray washers AND self levellers to be deemed legal (in the UK anyhow) and pass an MOT.......so some of these internet 'conversion' kits are technically illegal! :eek:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts