Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there im new to alfa cars but recently my digi display in car has gone mad? says brake light failure(but work).... side light failure lft and right failure they dont work(side lights dim) but the left side side light comes on when i put the front fog lights on lol and finally when i put in reverse and the front wipers are on the rear go on automatically???
can anyone help me please i bought an alfa knowing they do have problems but the car is a dream to drive and own and i dont wanna go back to ford or vauxhaul soooooo come on alfa peeps gis advise.cheers scottie:confused::cry:

·
Registered
656 Posts
The rear wipers coming on is normal they all do that. can't make out what your saying about the lights,understand the brake lights bit

·
Registered
953 Posts
The rear wipers coming on is normal they all do that. can't make out what your saying about the lights,understand the brake lights bit
If the front wipers are on and you put the car into reverse the rear windscreen wiper is supposed to operate automatically, by virtue that you have the windscreen wiper on the car assumes it's raining - you bung the stick into reverse and you 147 is clearing the rear window automatically so you can see where you are going - normal, not a fault.

I have had on occasion multiple light failure warnings but not often, if it doesn't happen regular then don't worry to much but worth checking all your bulbs including the rear number lights as these are often missed.

** Sorry for repeating what Alid1 posted, he obviously types faster than me **

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol on the display on dash digital says
;;;warning right side light and left side light failure;;; these dont work?
;;;rear brake light failure;;;; but the brake lights work..
;;;number plate light failure;; but that works?

and when i put the fog lights on front the left side- side light comes on??
but the full beam works and normal beams work thts the lights..

·
Registered
656 Posts
lol on the display on dash digital says
;;;warning right side light and left side light failure;;; these dont work?
;;;rear brake light failure;;;; but the brake lights work..
;;;number plate light failure;; but that works?

and when i put the fog lights on front the left side- side light comes on??
but the full beam works and normal beams work thts the lights..
1 . change bulbs
2.. It's a ALFA:)
3.There are 2 do they both work?

Are you sure you are looking in the right place for the sidelight bulbs. They are hard to see H6W bulbs and small

·
Registered
27 Posts
bulbs on alfas are a flipping nightmare.

1. They blow regularly.
2. They are impossible to get at to change
3. It's hard to figure out when they have gone unless you know where they are looking.

To check the front light clusters:
1. make sure you have the front fogs turned OFF, because otherwise you were confuse yourself when you are trying to figure out which bulbs are working and which aren't.

2. Turn the light switch on the stalk to the FIRST position. Get out and look, there should be dim light coming front two tiny bulbs you can barely see (these are the sidelights)

3. Turn the light swithc on the stalk to the SECOND position. Get out and look, there shoudl be two bright beams pointing at you. (Dipped beam)

4. Keep the light switch on the stalk at the SECOND position and PUSH the stalk forward. Get out and look - you should now have two very bright beams. (main beam)

5. Go back to SECOND position setting and press the front fog button on the dash. Now check - the two outermost lights in the cluster shoudl be lit...these are the front fogs.

CHANGING bulbs:

The mechanisim for changing the bulbs on alfas was designed by the devil himself. The access is appauling. The dipped bean (And I think the main beam too) are held in place by a loop of wire which is hinged at the bottom. It will cut your fingers to ribbons trying to unhook it. The basic principle is to squeeze the sides in. I take a paper clip and make it into a hook shape, and hook it around the top of the wire and then tug with as much force as you can muster.

The sidelights are hidden even more obscurely on these little bits of plastic. You have to reach around inside till you feel a little piece of flat plastic jutting out and pull on it till the hole thing comes out in your hand, attached to the wire, then unscrew the bulb from it's mounting.

then stick the whole lot back in...and prepare to do it all again in about two weeks time when the next bulb blows!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I found that the cheaper replacement bulbs don't have as long PIN's at each side, meaning they don't stay in contact 100% of the time. I constantly had fog light and brake light failure warnings. Changed the bulbs for OE ones from Alfa dealer and never had the warnings back on since. The PIN's are longer on the OE ones. The 147 does it's checks by constantly sending current to the ligths, if the current is broken (From the PIN not making contact for a split second) the failure warning comes on. Mine would come off and on when going over bad bumps.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I´ve got a "right side light failure" on my GT. I´m pretty convinced that all bulbs are working. Came in the cold and I expect it to disappear when it gets warmer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i recently saw a 147 with the alfa badge to the rear of both sides of the car (big stickers white) but i cant remember were i seen it ? does anyone have a link were i can see alfas 147 with smart decal?

·
Registered
82 Posts
i recently saw a 147 with the alfa badge to the rear of both sides of the car (big stickers white) but i cant remember were i seen it ? does anyone have a link were i can see alfas 147 with smart decal?

I doubt you'll get an answer by adding this to the bottom of a thread about failed side lights.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts