Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boy came home from school just before the holidays with the mother of all lurgies. There's a lot of it about over here at the moment. We cancelled our trip to see my family and settled in for a right miserable Christmas. Christmas eve night I was awoken by unpleasantly cold feet. I got up to put on some socks, and when got back into bed and moved to warm myself up on my usually toasty wife I found she was cool to the touch. After an instant of panic I heard breathing and presumed it was me running a temperature. Afterwards, unable to get back to sleep, I lie in bed becoming more and more aware that quite a lot of me was in pain - like all my muscles and all my joints. Which ever way I turned to get comfortable I would be lying on something which hurt. Even lying on my back hurt my hips for some reason. It's at this point I turned to the only thing which has kept our family going for the past few days - drugs. More specifically Nurofen. Boy has his delicious strawberry flavoured kiddy Nurofen and there is blessed Nurofen Plus for the adults. There is bound to be more Nurofen in subsequent posts. Although wonderfully petite in stature, the wife has the constitution of an ox but even she is no match for the lurgie from hell and she too has fallen victim. Poor thing doesn't really have any experience of feeling grotty so it has come as a bit of a shock. "I've felt better" she croaked when I asked her how she felt. I have no such compunction but she views going to bed during the day as weakness. Yesterday and today she went back to bed. Both mine and boy's temperatures are back to normal but boy has been left with a nasty cough. I've been left with hot and cold sweats - I'm confused how that happens with a normal temperature.

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Most people will tell you the trick for getting through illness it to keep yourself amused. For a significant part of this experience I really haven't had the energy or patience to do anything. Even something relatively passive like watching a football game between two teams I don't give a damn about I found too emotionally draining. After a couple of Nurofen however I found I was able to watch some comedy and I decided to catch up on some old Taskmaster episodes I hadn't seen. Now, this flu has given me a bit of a cough and especially my chest muscles are sore. So coughing hurts. It turns out you use similar muscles to laugh. I think you know where this is going. It went a bit like this: Ha-ha, ow, wheeze, ha-ha, feckit, cough, ow-ow-ow, ha-ha-ha, splutter, arghhhhhh! For the interested the episode was the one where Paul Chowdhry builds a "snowman". Barstard innit.

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I mentioned before Nurofen has been a useful crutch to get though this time. It relieves pain, lowers temperature and is anti-inflammatory. Nurofen Plus also contains a bit of codeine, an opiate, which takes the edge off when you're feeling miserable. As with other opiates codeine tends to make you constipated but it can also work the other way after prolonged usage ending up in the sort of explosive detonation familiar to those who have seen the beginning of Trainspotting. Let's obliquely refer to this incident as "the fart that wasn't" and leave it at that.

·
Administrator
45,145 Posts
Glossing over the rest - Taskmaster is truly excellent, isn't it?

Less glossing:
I had a flu 3 years ago which turned into Pneumonia and floored me for an entire month. I watched much less comedy boxed sets and films than you would expect from a period of illness for me (one one previous occasion, while off ill for one day, I watched 11 straight episodes of Father Ted). Similar to your tale, they were just too much effort.

No glossing at all:
About the only 'advantage' of my IBS is that digestive symptoms of either illnesses or treatments don't really make any difference to me.

·
Administrator
45,145 Posts
Can you take the Nurofen Plus for only 3 consecutive days?

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, Taskmaster/Alex Horne is genius.

You're only supposed to take the Nurofen Plus for a few days, that's right. The risk though is addiction, not anything physical. The discomfort of constipation is enough to keep my usage to the bare minimum.

IBS must be a barstard.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Yours is virtually the same story as mine.....took a good week to get over.... didn't manage to kill off the sinus infection I got with it....so a longer dose of Doxycycline antibiotics starts tomorrow.

Right pain in the ar5e....but not a word of complaint :sick:

·
Administrator
45,145 Posts
IBS must be a barstard.
I suspect I have a fairly minimal level of it. Worst parts are:

Waking up in the middle of teh night with raging stomach cramps, and being unable to do anything about them for a couple of hours.
Something which is not necessarily directly the IBS, but related - upon being ready and due to leave the house for anything, immediately going from being fine to needing the toilet urgently. That said, at the cost of significant discomfort I can ignore that urgency and it will mostly go away. I know there are people who don't get that choice.

·
Administrator
45,145 Posts
My wife and daughter both had colds in September - and both are still coughing now. Speaking selfishly - it's very annoying. ;)

·
Administrator
45,145 Posts
Well guess who woke up early this morning with S&D?

I blame you Paddy. (I tried blaming the wife, and she told me to jog on.)

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quite often when you're feverish you can have bizarre and interesting dreams. In this period I've had a recurring dream which one part of my brain pitched to another as all the current and pending court cases against Donald Trump. I'd like nothing better than to see the Orang-utan-in-chief star in his own episode of Orange Is the New Orange so as one part of my brain was cooking up the scenario the other was sitting down with popcorn avidly awaiting the show. The only problem was that the show was a complete bust. A series of different courts which filled up with lawyers, observers, court officials and judges, and then the bang of a gavel, this case is adjourned, and on to the next courtroom. Ad nauseam all bleedin' night. Either my brain ran out of energy just after the pitch or it was attempting a damning indictment of the US justice system's expeditiousness in dealing with political malfeasance. Whatever it was, it was effing boring.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I'm still struggling to get over the bout of flu I had before Christmas.

Coughing a lot during the night. At least the aches in my knees, hips and neck have gone. Living on lemsips and benelyn!

·
Administrator
45,145 Posts
God, I'd have been less flippant in my last message if I'd know the worst was yet to come. Yesterday was terrible. Overnight was a little better because I stopped throwing up. But comparing the step count on my watch with how far away the bathroom is, I visited the toilet 20 times between midnight and 7am. God alone knows what's still in there to expel, I haven't eaten for nearly two days.

I also have suffered with fever dreams. The ones yesterday were absolutely nightmareish - but if I try to describe them, they don't sound so bad.
Like Paddy, it was as if I was two people. The first was trying to find a way to make me feel better, except it was doing so in a computer game. Then the second would basically go "FFS, this is a game, this isn't going to help" and wake me up immediately, this would just repeat again and again.

Overnight on the other hand, the fever dream was a lot more benign as it just consisted of the chorus from Driving Home For Christmas again and again. It at least didn't wake me up though.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Check your weight Bazza.....I managed to shift 10 lbs in a week with this sickness!!! :sick:

Then again I have been carrying my winter puppy fat all year round. ;)

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That doesn't sound nice at all Bazza. Thankfully I didn't have vomiting to worry about.

Might I recommend Nurofen Plus? It's a veritable panacea.

·
Administrator
45,145 Posts
This illness seems to change every night. Last night was spent waking up about every half hour because I was drenched in sweat. Who knows what delights tonight will hold?
It’d better not be the squits again, I’m a tattered ruin.

·
Administrator
45,145 Posts
Oh, last nights fever dream was a song again. Bowie’s Lets Dance. More that one line of it though, so that’s an improvement, right?
I’ve not checked my temp, but I don’t feel feverish currently, so I have high hopes for feeling well come morning. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Oh, last nights fever dream was a song again. Bowie’s Lets Dance. More that one line of it though, so that’s an improvement, right?
I’ve not checked my temp, but I don’t feel feverish currently, so I have high hopes for feeling well come morning. Fingers crossed.
Or else you are dead and communicating from the other side ;)

·
Administrator
45,145 Posts
It was squits. :sick:
but only woke up three times with them so could be worse.
the dream was very weird though. Let me briefly put the salient points, before they fade.
Attending a global work meeting.
Except it’s in Llandulas for some reason (where my gran used to live).
Most of my colleagues, perhaps due to this, are old granny types.
After arriving by train, as the taxi takes me to the hotel I recognise all the local sights - despite them bearing no resemblance at all to reality.
Get to the hotel and meet most colleagues in the lobby. We mill about as we wait for the last few to arrive.
Then suddenly we see some massive alligators running towards the hotel doors.
I try to close them (being the hero I am) as everyone scarpers. It the doors are glass paned and one can’t be closed before the alligator gets through anyway.
All the internal doors are glass too. I am about to suggest going upstairs because alligators can’t go upstairs, but as I approach them I see that one is doing just that.
I think we’ll at least that ones out of the way, then I hear someone shout something like “it’s going to disrupt ‘Teen **** at Christmas’”.
at that point I wake up.
I have no idea what TTAC would have turned out to be had the dream continued, but I could guess.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts