Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i believe my alfa is kinda sick at the moment. during the past few weeks, i've noticed that i don't get the same pulling power (or is it torque as u guys call it) as before, especially in 4th and 5th gear. it just accelerates normally (with no 'surge' as i've known before).
does anyone have any idea what i'm saying here and what could be wrong with my car? btw, it still hits 190/200 km/h but without the 'surge'..i must say, the thrill is kinda gone..sob, sob, sob. pls feel free to advise.

G

·
Heya bob!

did this propblem start at the same time as the 'hesitation' problem that you've put on the tech forum? I wouldn't be surprised if it's all linked together.

are there any lights on your dash at all? how long have you had the problem?

one thing to do would be to flush your petrol tank out and re-fill it... maybe some dodgy fuel might be clogging some thing up, maybe one or two of the injectors is slightly clogged... try running some injector cleaner through it. Check the fuel line for any leaks. Swap your fuel filter, that might be a bit old and not working very well and clogged up.

check your lambda sensor and ECU.. there may have been a fault developed... take it to an auto electrician to run a diagnostics on your car... it should pick any electrical involvement in the problem.

Check all of your spark plug leads and coil connections.

I'd recommend to do all of the checks you can do yourself before having to fork out money to take it to an auto electricians.

I hope this is of any help.

J

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thks for the reply..it is probably linked to the hesitation problem coz it happened about the same time, almost 3 weeks ago.
i'm kinda new with an alfa car, as such i wouldn't know how to do most of it DIY. maybe u guys could elaborate further on how to do those checks like ecu, lambda, etc.
btw, i did replace the flywheel sensor before this problem occured.

G

·
Hello Bob,

First check for errors in the ECU, all sensors can be checked on lose contacts or shortcuts this way, this can easily be done with a light bulb, if this is ok check the mechanical condition of the engine with a compression test, if this ok you check the plugs and leads, beware, if a plug sparks, it doesnot mean it sparks under pressure in the cilinder, if you are not sure, replace it, check fuel filter, air filter and fuel pressure.

Check the injectors on leaking, you have to activate the fuel pump with an extra wire to do this test, then take the injector out.

The ECU does not use the lambda sonde on full throttle so that is not likely to be the problem.

I think your engine is running rich, if you don't feel hesitations on full throttle but you have power loss and no mechanical problems, then i think that is the problem.

One possible cause is the coolant temperature sensor, this also creates hesitations on part throttle, a corroded connector is often the error.

A simple test to see if the engine is running rich is to drive it full throttle for 3 minutes, then cutoff ignition right away, stop and check if the plugs are black.

There can also be a "learning" problem in the ECU caused by for example an intake air leak or faulty lambda sensor. If you find such a problem you can reset the ECU by simply take off a batterie cable for a couple of seconds.

Good Luck,

Wil

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi guys,
thanks a lot for all the advise and insights. it has been helpful to me though i haven't actually started to go thru as what u guys have suggested.

all these prompt and useful responses made me proud to be an alfa owner (since only 3 months back). probably it's true as they say..alfistis really do look out for each other..it's a brotherhood..

thanks again & wish me luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts