Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I am new to forums and not sure which forum to post this in, so apologies if you have read this in the Newbie section.

I have just purchased (2 days ago) a 2012 Giulietta JTDM TCT Veloce and have noticed that when stationary, the driver's side mirror starts to shudder. The rest of the car, and the passennger side mirror is perfectly still.

Is this a common (known) problem on the diesel Giulietta or is this "normal"?

Thanks for any help.

The Gun

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had the same thing on my last Giulietta, which was a 2012 1.4 MA manual - so sounds like it's not specific to the engine/gearbox.

Was a bit annoying but never developed into any engine issues or anything, so I guess it's normal.

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
The adhesive pad attaching the mirror glass to the plastic holder is breaking down. Get some strong double-sided tape, ease the glass off gently, clean the surfaces and re-attach the glass being careful to get it lined up before pressing into place.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The adhesive pad attaching the mirror glass to the plastic holder is breaking down. Get some strong double-sided tape, ease the glass off gently, clean the surfaces and re-attach the glass being careful to get it lined up before pressing into place.
Hi armoore - it is the complete mirror casing that is shuddering (not just the mirror).

Thanks

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
Hi armoore - it is the complete mirror casing that is shuddering (not just the mirror).

Thanks
In that case are the attachment fastenings tight enough? If they are ok you might try 'mass dampening' by using some wheel balance masses stuck to the underside of the casing.

I must be lucky as even from cold mine is fine.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yes, noticed this on mine this morning. Agree that it's a cold start thing and moves along once engine warmed nicely.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
There was a service instruction for this fault which requires a new mirror glass to be fitted. The glass comes away from its backing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine did this when new but I don't notice it anymore. passenger side for me though.
I have had both the mirror-coming-away-from-the-backing fault and the complete-casing-shuddering fault. The first was fixed under warranty and the second wasn't, but it doesn't seem to have worsened. Rather than risking tightening anything, I have preferred to leave it be. I confirm mine relates to the RH side only.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Mine has also done it from brand new and still does now at a year old. Only the drivers mirror and only on tickover. Blip the throttle slightly and it stops. 2.0JTDm, and it's the whole mirror casing that shudders.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I have had both the mirror-coming-away-from-the-backing fault and the complete-casing-shuddering fault. The first was fixed under warranty and the second wasn't, but it doesn't seem to have worsened. Rather than risking tightening anything, I have preferred to leave it be. I confirm mine relates to the RH side only.
passenger side is RH for me, so also confirmed.

The whole casing was juddering, but it's stopped. Maybe the engine vibrates less or differently now? 2.0 jtdm aswell.

·
Registered
497 Posts
2.0 jtdm, mirror casing shakes at idle but the mirrors fine, put a few revs on and it stops, its always done it since I got the car over 2 years ago, Ive had the same on past diesels too.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
My driver's side used to vibrate. Now , believe this or not! Dealer changed front engine mounting and the problem's solved. I'm just happy it's solved -believable or not.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I know this thread it’s a bit old. But its the right side engine mounting. Replace it and you’re done. Is filled with oil and over the years it breaks, looses their oil and vibrations pass to the chassis, sometimes even the passenger seat vibrates! Do it, the car changes completely! Super smooth now!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I know this thread it’s a bit old. But its the right side engine mounting. Replace it and you’re done. Is filled with oil and over the years it breaks, looses their oil and vibrations pass to the chassis, sometimes even the passenger seat vibrates! Do it, the car changes completely! Super smooth now!
mine has the same issue. again a 2010 jtdm 170.
can anyone take a picture to show where all the engine mounts are that may need to be replaced? that would be really helpful.
is it a job I can do myself or does it need a garage?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts