Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys n gals. I was coming home last night down the fast lane of the motorway (70mph honest officer) i had the wife in the back sitting on the same side as me, baby in front seat and a couple of fairly light cases and pushchair etc. in the boot. suddenly there was a very loud bang,bang,bang,so i immediatly pulled over to the hard shoulder, and the offside rear tire had a groove around it right on the inside edge through to the metal braiding and a six inch x one inch flap that caused the bang,bang, it also smashed the rear fiberglass mud guard, the built in part. when i jacked up the back to change the tyre i wondered if the tyre could have fouled the rear suspension strutt, do you think that was possible? my car is a 156 tspark with a sports pack three, 16 inch wheels, etc. or do you think that the tyre just de laminated at constant high speed? it certainly looked as if something had rubbed on it, there was not that much weight in the back, the misses aint that big!! has anyone had simmilar probs ? i would have thought that i would have heard it rubbing? is there a cure for low suspension on alfas

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Had the same problem with my 2.5V6 Sport 3 but on the front. I run with 17" Touring car alloys (white with loads of spokes, ******* to clean) and at the time had 215 * 45 * 17 ZR Dunlop Sp9000's on.

Same thing happened, rubbed through on the inside, but I reckon I could of let the tyre pressures go a bit low over winter. Replaced tyres with Falken FK451's but still have only got about 5 - 10mm clearance between the inside of the tyre and the front suspension strut.

So I am contemplating some wheel spacers on the front 3 - 5mm probably.

Hope this helps

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My front tyre shredded on the inside edge and apparently its the way the car is setup - was the tyre worn or due for renew ?. - I didnt realise until i looked at the inside edge - because the outside still had some tread left...

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by zeflar:
<strong>My front tyre shredded on the inside edge and apparently its the way the car is setup </strong>
<hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">AFAIK this is only on the JTD and V6 models which are very nose heavy.
frown

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Matty74 - out of interest what do you think of those Falken FK451 tyres - are they noisy ??

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
I can say for certain that the tyre was not rubbing on the suspension strut. I run 225/50x16 tyres and they dont even come close to any part of the rear suspension.
Its also very common to wear out the inside edge of the front tyre and since you dont really notice it, you can be down to the metal in no time. I understand its the wheel alignment but many cars still do it even after full alignment.
It could be that your rear suspension is out of alignment - which I believe can be adjusted for toe.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
stewright, didn't notice much difference between sp9000 and the fk451's other than the price being about £30 less for 215/45/17zr's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts