Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Someone I know through work was singing the praises of this stuff to me today, best thing since sliced bread and all that, cos you dont need to use water to clean the car, just put SS on and it'll get rid of the grime and polish/wax all in one go.

I also seen it advertised on some shopping channel last week and instantly dismissed it as some daft gimmick.

So, my question is, is it all its cracked up to be or just a bit of a gimmick?

and does/can it damage your paintwork in any way?

Thanks in advance :thumbs::D

S

·
0 Posts
Someone I know through work was singing the praises of this stuff to me today, best thing since sliced bread and all that, cos you dont need to use water to clean the car, just put SS on and it'll get rid of the grime and polish/wax all in one go.

I also seen it advertised on some shopping channel last week and instantly dismissed it as some daft gimmick.

So, my question is, is it all its cracked up to be or just a bit of a gimmick?

and does/can it damage your paintwork in anyway?

Thanks in advance :thumbs::D
Hey Bacon,

Who makes it?? I might have it :)

S

·
0 Posts
I just checked and I have something called Autoglym Instant Show Shine but I have never used it!!! You want me to go and test it?

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just checked and I have something called Autoglym Instant Show Shine but I have never used it!!! You want me to go and test it?
I may be wrong but i dont think its made by any of the big names.

Ill have a dig about on t'net for some info on it.........................

S

·
0 Posts
I may be wrong but i dont think its made by any of the big names.

Ill have a dig about on t'net for some info on it.........................
Ah ok then, i'll go test a panel and maybe post a piccie :)

N

·
0 Posts
Sounds like another waterless wash product. Looks great til you see the damage you've done to your clearcoat, its horrendous for causing swirls by all accounts.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like another waterless wash product. Looks great til you see the damage you've done to your clearcoat, its horrendous for causing swirls by all accounts.
Swirlsville Arizona i reckon!:cry:
this is my fear....

ive had a think about it and i reckon if youre the kind of person that owns one of them 'tap' things, and it works, then theres no need for this stuff, the only situation it may come in handy is if youve driven very far to a show or meet and your car is full of road grime, then whip this stuff out of your boot and you can get your motor looking clean again. :thumbs::D

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
Aye! These waterless wonders contain a lot of lubricant so in theory they help lift the dirt off the paint and then make sure the said dirt doesn't instantly sand-paper the paintwork again.

I wouldn't put the stuff anywhere near my car if it was normal dirty. It may be okay if I was taking a clean car somewhere and just wanted to get a bit of trip dust off the paint. I wouldn't use it anywhere near mud and dried on dirt (like you get down the door sides).

Ralf S.

J

·
0 Posts
wouldn't touch it :tut:

any form of waterless product will no doubt cause damage when it is being removed, no matter what the marketing says

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wouldn't put the stuff anywhere near my car if it was normal dirty. It may be okay if I was taking a clean car somewhere and just wanted to get a bit of trip dust off the paint. I wouldn't use it anywhere near mud and dried on dirt (like you get down the door sides).

Ralf S.
Fair point. It could be good for the painted metal areas underneath the bonnet though.:)

Could be that Bosun stuff they sell on QVC?
Im not sure, 'Bosun' is a new one on me. If its a waterless wash/wax system, then quite possibly :D

wouldn't touch it :tut:

any form of waterless product will no doubt cause damage when it is being removed, no matter what the marketing says
Agreed.

Im going to see if my mate will bring some in so i can try a sample, possibly under the bonnet. :thumbs:

*EDIT* Just found this thread on 'detailingworld'.......

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=96492&page=2

i havent read it yet though. will do now.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
That stuffs just like a quick detailer in aerosol form, for very light dust removal.
I've had it before and didn't think it was too bad, but there is plenty better QDs out there so I wouldn't buy it again.

S

·
0 Posts
That stuffs just like a quick detailer in aerosol form, for very light dust removal.
I've had it before and didn't think it was too bad, but there is plenty better QDs out there so I wouldn't buy it again.
Oh I see fella, thnx for the headsup on what it is :D

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Oh I see fella, thnx for the headsup on what it is :D
No worries, from what I remember I mostly used it on a silver car after drying or for light dust removal and a better finish. It gave a good shine, but silver doesn't show up marks left like dark colours would.......so I'm not sure how it would be on other colours. :confused:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Its called showroom shine from greased lightning, and yes its a water less wash with a mix of carnuba wax.
I have used autoglym products all my life, done the usual, wash, dry , polish, shine etc...an all day affair sometimes, and I am so particular with the car, anyway bought some to try and is very good, admitidly I always still wash and dry the car first, as I don't trust it as just a cleaner, would be like rubbing dirt into the car, anyway, as an afterclean its amazing!....just spray on, wipe panel over and wipe off...its puts a barrier of wax on and is like an eggshell to touch, it also makes cleaning the car afterwards a breeze....body/windows/chrome even around the home.....full marks from me!

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Its called showroom shine from greased lightning, and yes its a water less wash with a mix of carnuba wax.
I have used autoglym products all my life, done the usual, wash, dry , polish, shine etc...an all day affair sometimes, and I am so particular with the car, anyway bought some to try and is very good, admitidly I always still wash and dry the car first, as I don't trust it as just a cleaner, would be like rubbing dirt into the car, anyway, as an afterclean its amazing!....just spray on, wipe panel over and wipe off...its puts a barrier of wax on and is like an eggshell to touch, it also makes cleaning the car afterwards a breeze....body/windows/chrome even around the home.....full marks from me!
surely there are better products for this use though? zaino z8 for example?

bear in mind though that my knowledge on this subject is fairly poor.:lol:

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
There are some waterless products that if used correctly are perfectly safe (Optimum products for example) but the margin for error when using them is much smaller IMO. I find most waterless systems that claim to have carnauba to be better used as a quick wax after a full wash than a waterless wash system.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts