Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1841 - 1860 of 1864 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome Twolf! If you want to race, you'll have to see your category rules. I am quite sure a roll cage is needed, fixed back racing seat (I. E. no tilt) and 4 / 5 point harness. Other than that I suggest you keep the car standard to start with.

The main thing you need to do is get uprated brake pads (EBC yellow or blue) and brake fluid (Ferodo DOT 5.1 is the best bang-for-buck (R75 / 500ml at Goldwagen). Then if you have money get semi slick tyres. Then get coil over suspension.

When the bug takes you over then start lightening the car by removing the interior then aircon then interior fan and heater matrix.
Thanks for the response!

I will definitely look into what you said

Do you reckon i could take a nissan sti's and come out on top?
Because initially i was going to have an induction kit installed with a freeflow exhaust system and try and have it remapped.

Im a bit two minded about putting too much power in her though because finding new parts has been emptying my pockets Until i just decided to buy used spares and its done the trick this far.

This is my first car so i am learning and trying to find out ways to maker her perform and at the same time keep her in a good way

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Do you reckon i could take a nissan sti's and come out on top?
Because initially i was going to have an induction kit installed with a freeflow exhaust system and try and have it remapped.

Im a bit two minded about putting too much power in her though because finding new parts has been emptying my pockets Until i just decided to buy used spares and its done the trick this far.

This is my first car so i am learning and trying to find out ways to maker her perform and at the same time keep her in a good way
OK wait, I think I'm on the wrong band wagon. You referring to "Street to strip" drag events? Not full circuit racing?

Drag racing is all about power to weight ratio. The only real power upgrade on a budget is to remove the catalytic converter and yes free flow exhaust. Intake kits helps very little or could even rob power if done wrong. A KN / BMC panel filter (not oil based) is the safest.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
El, what you say is true... What is in a Sentra? What is in a whatsimado? Standard STI was 107kw. Which meant based on traction and weight either one of the cars could win. But how many cars that come to drag nights are stock? NONE!!! Is the quick answer, but then what is the definition of stock?

No I digress... What makes you enjoy your car? There is no pure answer... If you want to win a specific race... May the odds be in your favour

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi guys. I see a white GQV at Melrose arch. Really nice headlights and would like to know where I can get a set. It's got a red ring around the hi beam.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
You know that Cape Town and Stellenbosch (where some of the best driving routes are) have of the harshest fine regimes in the country, right? Still difficult to behave sometimes.

Sometimes I think one of two systems, or both, should be implemented:

1. Speed limits on twisty roads should vary according to the lateral G-loading a specific model of car can sustain on a skidpan. "No, officer, I am allowed to drive at 100 km/h around the corner on this mountain pass, this car can hold 1 G laterally."

2. Drivers who have successfully completed an advanced, high-speed driving course, should be able to drive 20 km/h faster than others except in built-up areas.

·
Registered
938 Posts
its only at the bottom of the passes they trap once the winding starts you can let loose, the n1 toll road before u get to the du toits kloof pass is awesome but beware of the trap at the hotel and there is a trap just as u come out of the tunnel to worcester side same with helshoogte only as u start and again as come of the mountain slow down du toits kloof pass they only trap Paarl side after Amberg guest house so when u c the double story wood building on your left hit the brakes :thumbu p:

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
its only at the bottom of the passes they trap once the winding starts you can let loose, the n1 toll road before u get to the du toits kloof pass is awesome but beware of the trap at the hotel and there is a trap just as u come out of the tunnel to worcester side same with helshoogte only as u start and again as come of the mountain slow down du toits kloof pass they only trap Paarl side after Amberg guest house so when u c the double story wood building on your left hit the brakes :thumbu p:
In Stellies they move the traps regularly. Great disincentive for locals who know about this but I feel for out-of-towners who don't.

1841 - 1860 of 1864 Posts