Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Show me your Strut Braces!

1K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  markwg 
#1 ·
I am toying with the idea of getting one, can anyone share a photo of theirs?

#17 ·
Same as mine, a weichers upper brace :)
I honestly can't tell if the upper brace makes much difference over standard, but it looks quite good. Although i would expect it should help a little.

However i did use to run a lower brace aswell and this definitely made a big difference. It helped tighten up the front alot and stop twisting of the subframe when under hard cornering. But the draw backs are it touches the standard downpipe under hard acceleration and made an annoying noise and also on std suspension it was always bottoming out and making an almightly crashing noise as it gauged out the tarmac. Maybe with coilovers and a little clearance cut into the strut it would work quite well. The main reason i haven't sold it yet! :)

Attachments

#12 ·
Mine.

Attachments

#14 ·
Considering
a) the strut towers are just 10cm-or-so away from the firewall, and
b) the front suspension is of a double a-arm type which doesn't put a lot of sideways force on the top of the strut towers (as compared to eg McPherson type)

I would imagine the benefit of a strut brace to be limited, but I'd be happy if someone who has one installed tells me I'm wrong because they look :cool: so if they improve handling I might get one myself :biglaugh:

#18 ·
I put one on my 156 Twinspark Sportwagon and it just made it understeer more so I took it off again. It was a noticeable difference too, nothing subtle. I tried it again 6 months later to make sure I wasn't just imagining it, same affect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.