Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone in Oxfordshire without access to decent garage facilities, check this place out:

This is Your Garage - The Ultimate Workshop : This is Your Garage

I went across to see them this weekend - it's a great setup with ramps/hoists and a comprehensive toolkit per bay, along with oil collectors, a press, a sandblasting rig and a whole load of other equipment.

Bays can be booked for £15 an hour during the week - that sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Plus, staff are very helpful. Hope they make a success of it...

·
Registered
787 Posts
Pretty cool idea, however for me I hate the idea of communal facilities, especially places like gyms. As much as I enjoy the company, I prefer to work alone on a car or in a gym, no pressure, no rush and if something goes **** up, no ones around to witness your **** up ;)

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Great idea. If you are there and get stuck there is someone to help you. Or teach you. Great idea.

Having use of a lift makes all the difference in some jobs.

I used to rent a bay when I needed to from a friend. It was cheaper than this but its surprising how much quicker you do things with the right setup.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Used to be this exact thing in Milton Keynes when I lived there many moons ago (could still be there for all I know). Found it worked really well for me, I turned up one morning with my old Fiat 124 Sport, with the freshly built replacement engine in the boot, drove out later that afternoon with the old one in the boot....

ISTR it was £15 for the day back then though.

As noted though.....if something doesn't go to plan, you are kind of stuck as you HAVE to get it finished in time. No walking away and coming back the you can face it again.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...if something doesn't go to plan, you are kind of stuck...
Yes, agreed it'll definitely focus the mind working to a deadline.

But as the car is relatively new to me I'll head over there in the next couple of weeks, get it in the air, get the wheels off and do a thorough inspection underneath. It's gotta be worth spending £15 to do that...

(Plus, I can take the sill trims off without breaking my back and deal with the blue film - wonder if they include hairdryers in their toolkits?)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts