Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon all,
Im toying with the idea of lowering her but im nervous as she already hates speed bumps, the suspension is totally standard (im guess the fact she's a sport has no bearing) but well used, any advise as too how to lower and how far to go would be greatly received I don't mind a stiffer ride if it kills a little body roll.
Many Thanks

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Eibach anit-roll bars are the first thing to do if you want to stiffen up the body roll..

The standard spring/shock combo is known for being both a bit rolly-polly through the corners, and hard/crashy through bumps and potholes.. Not the best!

Lowering on standard shocks won't be comfortable... The Bilstein B4s are often recommended as a modest upgrade from the standard shocks, but aren't so hard that they spoil the ride for regular road use.. B6's are definitely the more sporty option, but people often comment that they're too sporty/hard for regular use.. Koni FSDs are often recommended for all road use, but they ain't cheap!!

But if reducing body roll is your aim, get the upgraded anti-roll bar in there before touching springs/shocks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive got a front strut brace on its way to me as we speak, but if i do lower ill change the lot. Whats a good drop without it grounding out on matchsticks? 25-35mm

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im guessing a fair bit of the spongyness is just age, and thanks for the reply im gunno go drool over springs and shocks on tinternet for a while lol

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Ive got a front strut brace on its way to me as we speak, but if i do lower ill change the lot. Whats a good drop without it grounding out on matchsticks? 25-35mm
Strut brace will help a little, but the roll bar upgrade is the most impact you can get for the money you spend.. Yea it's a good few hundred to buy and get installed, but it will 100% kill the wallowing in the corners!

Autolusso do a bundle deal if you get the Eibach ARB and a Bilstein spring/shock kit installed all together! Start saving your pennie mind ;)

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Only buy the eibach springs for the jtdm. Other brands are cheaper and could be ok with the ts nut go too low at the front and leave the back in the air on the diesels.

I have the eibachs on my 156 and the car pretty much drives the same but looks faster. I kept dampers. Although it's lower I've had no problems with speed bumps.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
To increase the attitude you must lower the altitude. :cool: join us..... Do it :elaugh:

Reactions: dgmayhead

·
Registered
30,391 Posts
All Mk1 147 sat very high.
Possible design f***up as the indicators were low in the bumper. Any lower than the factory height and they were too low for type-approval!

So yes they all look much better lowered a little.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I have standard shocks and eibach springs ....its much better than standard, but it wil bounce a bit when you go over a speed bump. Good shocks are more than i'm willing to spend.

No roll around corners though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I deff think when I do it ill do springs and shocks but may take a while to save money, unless anyone needs a kidney?:wink_org:

·
Registered
883 Posts
Ebay coilovers working well for me and only around £250 a set and easy fit pending on bolts

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Ebay coilovers working well for me and only around £250 a set and easy fit pending on bolts
In hindsight I would have tried some cheaper brands and got a combo, but about 4 years ago, what was available on line just had shockingly bad reviews.

That post came with a free pun :biglaugh:

what ones did you get?

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
I think a 20-25mm drop on the 147 makes a huge difference, although you can go a lot lower, mine had Lusso suspension which was stupidly high (yours may be a bit lower as standard) but mine dropped 60mm rear and 50mm front and you can see the difference on these before and after pics.
The bigger wheels do make a difference but I still run the 17's in winter and it looks fine still.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts