Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

We are currently searching for a new car, something that will be big enough for a baby on the way.

I am landing on the Giulietta, but there are a couple reservations with the size.

How have any of you folks gotten on with rear facing car seats and the boot size for prams/pushchairs (namely oyster 3 and the out n about nipper) and extra space for shopping bags etc?

The biggest reservation though, is repair costs/future maintenance with the Giulietta now being discontinued.... Is this going to cause major headaches down the line?

Realistically myself and my partner will be looking at either the petrol or diesel variants, '16 plate onward (budget dependent), with the main choices being the 1.4 multi air 170bhp or the 2.0 jtdm2 175bhp (manual or automatic depending on whats kicking about) if this helps with the above questions.

Appreciate any input.

Thanks

·
Registered
39,600 Posts
Why would there be issues with a car that’s been out for a decade with parts and parts costs? It’s very reliable and well known by now. As an early adopter in 2011 with my first which I replaced for another new 2017 I’d say go to look at one , childseat in hand, and see how it drives. Our children were in forward facing seats and the isofix brackets were OK. Boot space is fine too. The waistline is high for children to see out of like most cars.

·
Registered
2010 Giulietta 2.0 JTDm2
1,094 Posts
Don’t manufacturers have to keep a spare parts supply for some time after the car is discontinued?
Cue’s advice is good - go and try one and see how you go. They’re generally very reliable and more likely to have been owned by someone who has servicing etc done on time (or earlier) rather than eg a VW or Toyota that gets poorly looked after ‘because they’re bulletproof’.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why would there be issues with a car that’s been out for a decade with parts and parts costs? It’s very reliable and well known by now. As an early adopter in 2011 with my first which I replaced for another new 2017 I’d say go to look at one , childseat in hand, and see how it drives. Our children were in forward facing seats and the isofix brackets were OK. Boot space is fine too. The waistline is high for children to see out of like most cars.
I have no idea cue, that's why I am asking.

I have never owned a discontinued car, never mind a discontinued Alfa. I am aware the model has been out for a decade but my brain is thinking this decade of sales may not mean much if the sales are fractional compared to other manufacturers and that is why i have questions surrounding this issue and what impact this may have going forward in the future. I just didn't know what/if any issues would arise as a result. Rightly or wrongly, i felt it was a valid question?

Thanks for the info regarding the child seats though, appreciated. Hopefully someone can chime in with regards to rear facing as i know they can take up more space and can be a little more awkward! Can you remember what sort of space you had free when you had a pram/pushchair in the boot (and what model of pushchair etc you had)?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don’t manufacturers have to keep a spare parts supply for some time after the car is discontinued?
Cue’s advice is good - go and try one and see how you go. They’re generally very reliable and more likely to have been owned by someone who has servicing etc done on time (or earlier) rather than eg a VW or Toyota that gets poorly looked after ‘because they’re bulletproof’.
It would certainly be a plus if they did and might put my mind at ease a little!

We are awaiting delivery of our baby travel stuff (seat/pushchair) and plan on going to view with these in hand to test ourselves but figured extra research and gathering first hand experience might help too. Unfortunately where we are located means not much comes up so the scope to be travelling far and wide is quite difficult with our work schedules etc, but hoping we can get some time to go view properly in the very near future.

·
Registered
39,600 Posts
I think you can look at the continued availability of parts for the 147 as a guide to how long Giulietta parts will be available. How long do you plan to keep this car?

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
There’s plenty of discontinued cars out there and parts are readily available still never had an issue sourcing parts for our 2011 G, likewise N92 BMW that finished production in 2011/12 still able to get parts for that from aftermarket or dealers so I wouldn’t let parts availability sway your decsision.

can’t help with child seats in the G specifically but I have had cars in the past when my nippers were in rear facing seats that had similar interior space and didn’t find it an issue. Boot wise going by the size of my old travel system it would fit fine in the G boot. However going to look at one and doing a real world test with your travel system is a good idea so you can see for yourself.

min terms of the petrol/diesel decsision what sort of journeys do you predominantly do?

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
I have one great car, all I will say is the isofix is a pig, not sure in the newer cars, boot space is OK, technically bigger volume than our 500x, but we bought that as the family car and it has the same engine albeit with 140 horses, its a bit expensive but I highly recommend a yoyo pram/stroller folds up to carry on size and will come in handy when we can fly again

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Won't almost every if not all car of that era have the 3 ISOFIX hooks? As in the two lower ones and the top tether?

Check one's child seat manual, they tend to have a list of vehicles the seats are tested in. I considered the Gulietta but decided to keep my 156 and buy another car with the various ISOFIX fittings.

If faced with the same choice today I'd probably get a Fiat 500x or some other small SUV over a Gulietta but the only way you'll know is if you go and see the car for yourself.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Id get a small estate (focus, golf, leon etc...)

When my two kids were young i drove everything from a polo hatch to a focus estate, and while technically yes, the pram did fit in the polo, even putting a small bag in the boot with it was a no-go. A giulietta will take a pram i would imagine, but the ease of use that comes with a big square hatch, big flat floor with no treshhold etc.. in an estate is very nice. Just open the lid, slide everything in, and there is plenty of space for other stuff left.

We are currently trying for a third (first two are 7 and 10, so no big amounts of junk needed for them), and just on the bootspace for the pram etc.. the Giulietta isnt even on my list.

·
Registered
953 Posts
When I bought my gqv I spent zero time wondering if it was suitable for my wife and kids.. hats off to you for being such a great guy...if I could have afforded a 4c then my kids would have had to get the bus lol.
LOL

Truth be told, i also convinced myself it was now or never with the GT, the kids were the perfect size for fitting in the back of one, and didnt need big equipment to fit in the boot. But going on a trip with a baby is quite something else :p

·
Registered
39,600 Posts
We discovered with our second child that we didn’t need to carry around some of the plastic moulded baby care stuff that we’d been convinced we needed with the first.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm forever being told to move my seat forward as the legroom in the back of a guilietta is terrible..I tell them they can get in the boot if they'd be more comfortable :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think you can look at the continued availability of parts for the 147 as a guide to how long Giulietta parts will be available. How long do you plan to keep this car?
Hoping to keep it as long as possible or until we outgrow it, whichever comes first.

There’s plenty of discontinued cars out there and parts are readily available still never had an issue sourcing parts for our 2011 G, likewise N92 BMW that finished production in 2011/12 still able to get parts for that from aftermarket or dealers so I wouldn’t let parts availability sway your decsision.

can’t help with child seats in the G specifically but I have had cars in the past when my nippers were in rear facing seats that had similar interior space and didn’t find it an issue. Boot wise going by the size of my old travel system it would fit fine in the G boot. However going to look at one and doing a real world test with your travel system is a good idea so you can see for yourself.

min terms of the petrol/diesel decsision what sort of journeys do you predominantly do?
That's good to hear about parts, seems i shouldn't be worrying about this at all! We have also arranged delivery of the travel system so can hopefully bring it along for a test run in the coming weeks.

Regarding petrol/diesel. Typically short journeys during the week with the longer runs at the weekends but as we welcome the baby we will be running about here there and everywhere for classes etc. I think technically petrol would be the better choice but i am hoping with the increased journeys we wouldn't have any issues with the diesel. It's all really to do with whats available near-ish to ourselves. Work life and commitments make it hard to travel a fair distance to explore a more broad range of options.

I have one great car, all I will say is the isofix is a pig, not sure in the newer cars, boot space is OK, technically bigger volume than our 500x, but we bought that as the family car and it has the same engine albeit with 140 horses, its a bit expensive but I highly recommend a yoyo pram/stroller folds up to carry on size and will come in handy when we can fly again
Hoping we get a chance to see how good/bad this will be when we get delivery of the child seat. Will take note of the stroller though and will mention it to the partner!

Id get a small estate (focus, golf, leon etc...)

When my two kids were young i drove everything from a polo hatch to a focus estate, and while technically yes, the pram did fit in the polo, even putting a small bag in the boot with it was a no-go. A giulietta will take a pram i would imagine, but the ease of use that comes with a big square hatch, big flat floor with no treshhold etc.. in an estate is very nice. Just open the lid, slide everything in, and there is plenty of space for other stuff left.

We are currently trying for a third (first two are 7 and 10, so no big amounts of junk needed for them), and just on the bootspace for the pram etc.. the Giulietta isnt even on my list.
We have talked about an SUV as an alternative, but estates have never really been a contender. That is more to do with preference on how they look, so that's more on me than an estate itself. Most estates that i like the look of are just outwith budget by a mile and I am too tight to be spending a fortune on something i don't at least like the look of haha (a fortune being relative of course).

On paper too, most of these compact SUV's that i would consider don't appear to be much bigger and i am not sure if an estate/large SUV would be overkill for just 1 child?

When I bought my gqv I spent zero time wondering if it was suitable for my wife and kids.. hats off to you for being such a great guy...if I could have afforded a 4c then my kids would have had to get the bus lol.
Haha! Unfortunately, although it is going to be my car, she is going to be doing a lot of driving in it too as it will be the most suitable car for the child. We have a mini one sitting as a run around for the to and from work for whoever needs it but as we will both be using this i need to find something we both like without going overboard!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We discovered with our second child that we didn’t need to carry around some of the plastic moulded baby care stuff that we’d been convinced we needed with the first.
Yeah, we are trying to cut down on non essentials where we can!

I'm forever being told to move my seat forward as the legroom in the back of a guilietta is terrible..I tell them they can get in the boot if they'd be more comfortable :D
haha, i would be doing the same once they are at that age but for now its more just how well the rear facing seats fit at all!

·
Registered
7,864 Posts
I have no idea cue, that's why I am asking.

I have never owned a discontinued car, never mind a discontinued Alfa. I am aware the model has been out for a decade but my brain is thinking this decade of sales may not mean much if the sales are fractional compared to other manufacturers and that is why i have questions surrounding this issue and what impact this may have going forward in the future. I just didn't know what/if any issues would arise as a result. Rightly or wrongly, i felt it was a valid question?

Thanks for the info regarding the child seats though, appreciated. Hopefully someone can chime in with regards to rear facing as i know they can take up more space and can be a little more awkward! Can you remember what sort of space you had free when you had a pram/pushchair in the boot (and what model of pushchair etc you had)?
Not sure why you should be so concerned with regard to the Giulietta and parts supply. Production has only just ceased and there are still new cars available form the dealers from existing stock. Parts are still readily available for the 147/156/GT and production for the 156 ceased in 2005 (16 years ago) and the 147/GT in 2010 (11 years ago). So what's the problem?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Rear facing seats will be fine in a G - we got them in the back of a Fiat Panda at the time. We got one of those maxi-cosi quick release bases which saves faffing with isofix. Both my kids were happy in front facers in the G, although when they get to 7-8 years old I found it a bit of a struggle to get the seat in as the rear roof swoops down, restricting access. Boot size is pretty good on them also. The mini SUVs are no better for space in my opinion. Basically, its as practical as any other hatch, but you stand out more from the usual SUV/VW panel van parent crowd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40,047 Posts
We have had ours for 6 years now and it has done many family related trips.

The space in the rear seat area isn't huge, but the load area is larger than a Mk3 Ford Focus.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts