Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is heading to get have numerous bits and bobs looked at by Chick in east kilbride, but i have been warned that the cost of the repairs could easily march into four figures.

A) So should i set i realistic figure to get my poor bella fixed

B) Trade her back into arnold shark complete all the problems.

C) Throw the required amount of cash at the mechanic blokes and let them work
thier magic.

All help as always greatly recieved :thumbs:

·
0 Posts
What problems do you have? :eek:

As always it's a head versus heart thing - my 11 year old V6 is worth more than money to me & I DIY a fair bit to keep us on the road :D

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Long list :lol:

All the belts may need done, new air filter box, new variator (think thata how you spell it), 2 new motors for the rear windows, problems with the car heating ( believed to be the 'heating matrix'?), new cooolant bottle, new radiator (number 2 in less than a year:mad:), new undertray, oil leaking into the sparkplugs closest to the cam belt

These are the main bullet points needing looked at :cheese:.

I found out the car had been sitting for 6 months before i bought it and arnold clark had "forgotten" to do most of the jobs that where conditions of sale :mad:. Mostly my own frickin fault.

Is it worth getting a diagnostic test done while they have the car in?

·
0 Posts
Jeez :lol:

Why another new rad?? theyre usually good for up to 5 years

Belts / variator - can't get away from them unless you are very handy with a spanner so to speak - mebee a new waterpump too which could be causing the 'rad' symptoms

Oil leak - prolly a gasket that can get changed when the belts are being done

Coolant bottle - easy DIY, but if they are changing the waterpump, the coolant will be drained then

Undertray - a lot dont bother TBH once theirs have crumbled to nothing

You sure about needing new motors for the windows, maybe something simpler

·
Registered
124 Posts
its always good to look at how much its going to cost to get another car compared with the cost of repair . You also have to consider that once you have spent the money on repairs that those parts in theory should be ok for some years to come . At the end of the day only you know if its worth it or not.:) I hope that helps you make a decision.:thumbs:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
its always good to look at how much its going to cost to get another car compared with the cost of repair . You also have to consider that once you have spent the money on repairs that those parts in theory should be ok for some years to come . At the end of the day only you know if its worth it or not.:) I hope that helps you make a decision.:thumbs:
It does help, you have no idea how many "i told you so's" i've had to endure since i asked people for advice :lol:

Jeez :lol:

Why another new rad?? theyre usually good for up to 5 years

Belts / variator - can't get away from them unless you are very handy with a spanner so to speak - mebee a new waterpump too which could be causing the 'rad' symptoms

Oil leak - prolly a gasket that can get changed when the belts are being done

Coolant bottle - easy DIY, but if they are changing the waterpump, the coolant will be drained then

Undertray - a lot dont bother TBH once theirs have crumbled to nothing

You sure about needing new motors for the windows, maybe something simpler
Need a new radiator because of an incident with a careless brother, a scaffolding pole and its dislike for my front grill

Had forgotten about the waterpump :rolleyes:, now added to the list :)

As for the windows, both with go down ok but will only go up to about 3/4's before the motor starts whining and gives up the ghost

Thanks for the replies :thumbs:

·
0 Posts
Best of luck :D - might be worth sourcing parts yourself to bring the price down

·
Banned
1,823 Posts
my cars is at a mechanics at the mo, as i wasn't given a quote for the work after asking twice, its a simple one for me, if its over £500 they shall be recieving the V5 for said car in the post.:lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts