Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every day this week on my commute I have been blinded by a citroen picasso multispace that is doing the school run and always has her headlights on main beam.

The first time i flashed her to tell her but she didn't do anything. The second time i passed her i put my lights on Main beam as i passed her but she still didn't notice. I have now passed her 4 times and every time her main beams were on. This was aroun 8:20 in bright sunshine so they don't even need to be on dipped really.

I took down her reg this morning and looked it up on Eurocarparts to see if it is taxed (as i have a funny feeling she may not be licenced to drive in the UK) and the reg no. came up as a Toyota Auris 1.3.

What would you do? Live and let live (though when she passes it takes me a second for my vision to adjust as i am properly dazzled and this is outside a school) or report it to the non-emergency police? I can't stop and talk to her as she is always driving i pass.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
You're not supposed to use it on anything other than a car you own*, but you could check the insurance status here which will also confirm the car make/model as insured -

askMID

If I though it was in anyway dodgy, I'd report it. Of course, if it is on false plates, the insurance details may reflect the Auris, not the Picasso!

* Although, as it only reports the make/model and whether the insurance is valid or not, it does seem a bit daft.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I wouldnt normally report anything that wasnt serious, normally more hassle than its worth!

But if the driver was to hit somebodys nice alfa and it wasnt insured its be heartbreaking, especially the time and effort people on this forum put into their cars!

Can always contact crime stoppers anonymously if, as you say, you shouldnt really be checking the cars regi plate!

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
When I was a lad I used to work in a motorbike shop .. :D and one day I noticed a rather abused looking but new model Kawasaki (GPX?) 750. It was odd that it was so knackered, despite that it could only have been 6 months old at the most.

It had a regular "C" registration on it, even though it was 1989... and should have been an F reg' (E reg' at best..) and these being the days before personal plates caught on. The C plate wasn't a particularly "custom" looking plate... if it had been C750 GPX I might have spotted it.. :)

I thought about phoning the law, as you do but I didn't want the hassle and the guy rode off.

A few weeks later I found out that this geezer had been spotted by the law, number plate was a phoney and they'd chased him down the A3 until 140mph when he'd put said motorbike into a barrier. It turned out stolen and no insurance or anything else (rider was Provisional license holder) so more or less everything was wrong.

Rider broke his back and ended up paraplegic... which is a bit harsh even if he was a tinker and a tea-leaf. Probably he'd have preferred to have been collared at the shop a few weeks earlier.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I may just report it anonymously. I am going to double check the plate when i see it tomorrow just to make sure i have remembered it correctly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts