Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago I looked at a 2000 model TS that had done 63000ks. It had just had the 60000 ks service that involved replacing the timing belt. The Alfa agent had replaced a whole lot of parts as well & the bill was $AUS3500 UK pounds1400. This is a ridiculous amount. I have a 406 Diesl Peugeot that has done 100,000 ks with only an EGR & cat con replaced (400 pounds) and the usual servicing costs. It will need its first timing belt replaced at 120000ks. I expect to pay about 400 for this service. Another example, our 1983 323i BMW has cost very little in servicing just a front wheel bearing replaced early in its life. I elected to do all my own servicing as BMW charge too much here. So this leads me to the question is a TS powred Spider going to be an expensive proposition to run? Should I get an older eg 1995-1997 BMW convertible which is usually better equipped and with the possiblity of seating 4 or 5? I pose this question because many of the forum have dabbled with other marques as well.
David

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Yes :D

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
Alternative view: I would say no.

You can't justify it on economic grounds, and certainly not by comparing it to a Peugeot Diesel. It's going to need the nuts revving off it to get the most from it's lovely engine, it's going to be low geared on the motorway and it's going to need expensive TLC to keep it going.

;)

You need to WANT/DESIRE/HAVE TO HAVE one. Then I would say yes.
:D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Depends what you want it for.
As a convertible two seater fun machine there isn't much to beat it.
An MX5 is smaller, but low geared too.
If you want a cheap diesel, buy a Peugot. If you want a sporty diesel, buy an Audi. If you want a four seat auto convertible buy a Mercedes. If you want a manual four seat convertible get a BMW.
Mind you the last three won't be cheap!
If you want to scare yourself, get a TVR!

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
JFDI mate !! ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Perhaps my reasons are all wrong. For an occasional blast on a mountain rd maybe the Alfa is the go. But for a 5000ks return trip (60mpg) the Peugeot is the go. Will a BMW convertible handle as well as a TS Spider? Then there is the V6 or TS dilemma.
David

1 - 10 of 10 Posts