Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have a set of loweing springs and shocks that will drop my 156 by 30mm.
My question is should I go through the hassel if it will just end in problems?

Will it wreck my tyres on the inner walls - or do I need to get the camber adjusted to compensate?

Is the ride really uncomfortable?

I have a towbar fitted to the car which I tow a small trailer with occasionally - will this just cause problems and scraping arches?

Any advise is appreciated

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
shouldnt be any problems with clearance with any of your points mentioned
tracking is a must .....if camber is a bit excessive from the normal .get them to toe it in a 1-2 mm on front as this will counteract wear caused by excess camber

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers buddie - that sounds good - is it a tricky job to do on the drive or is it best to get it on a ramp at a garage?

·
Registered
345 Posts
hi there

do it mate i did it on mine and it looks better and feels better.

did mine on the drive i put a koni street kit on mine with 40mm lowered springs.

the ride is quite hard on the front and the tyres dont wear anymore than normal and it is quite a tricky job.

front is tricky rear is easy ish.

some of the bolts had to be replaced especially some of the bigger bolts.

see my posting on this there are pictures and stuff.

cheers.

mark g.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
I'm using Eibachs (30mm lower - than what??) and run mine parallel on the front as recommended by Dave C; I'm sure he will be along in a mo to confirm :lol:

·
Registered
345 Posts
hi there

mine is 30mm lower than standard but because mine was the veloce it had sport springs which are 20mm lower than the turismo which is classed as the "standard suspension" so that makes it about 45-50mm lower than standard.

speed bumps are an issue i had to remove the undertray but the conversion is worth it the car feels more planted more stable and the ride is comfortable

cheers

mark g

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right I see - mine is a Lusso and rides pretty well at the mo - but just wanted to firm the ride up a bit and improve looks also as it sists a little high then get some side skirts to finish it off

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Ive not long purchased a jtd which is lowered and if i go over a speed hump at any speed other than slow the towbar frame base clumps the speedhump.If the speedhumps are of the type found in private roads where they are even steeper i find by going over at an angle helps solve the problem i.e where you can feel each wheel going over rather than front and rears.I find this a good experience so when i win the lottery and buy a lambo i know what to expect. I also had to raise my tow ball by a couple of inches which is not in accordance with some manufacturers guidelines

Attachments

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
I'm using Eibachs (30mm lower - than what??) and run mine parallel on the front as recommended by Dave C; I'm sure he will be along in a mo to confirm :lol:
standard cars with camber in range .......parallel. cars outside camber limits toe it in ....... or youll find ya inners will scrub away :wow:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Lowering my old 2.4 lusso made it much better and it hit the ground less with the lower springs, as they were firmer.

The handling was much better and there were no problems with tyre ware.

It would be a good time to do the wishbones and drop links, if they havnt been done already. Its a simple job once the springs are out.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
standard cars with camber in range .......parallel. cars outside camber limits toe it in ....... or youll find ya inners will scrub away :wow:
The "sport" setting for 4 wheel alignment gives the fronts parallel, experience has shown that anything other than that wears the insides of the tyres.

This is the print out from my last wheel alignment, it works for me!

View attachment 132157

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
Sport setting is zero as per TOX1C ... but many tyre places don't read their manuals properly! ;)

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
The "sport" setting for 4 wheel alignment gives the fronts parallel, experience has shown that anything other than that wears the insides of the tyres.

This is the print out from my last wheel alignment, it works for me!

View attachment 132157
toeing in does not wear insides it counteracts it .........running parallel with excess camber outside specs will take your inner edge out as toeing out with standard/sport which is documented all through out forum here .....we actually lower car beyond this...the reason why inner edge is scrubbed is because the opposite tyre is dragged through corner ie left bend outer tyre is loaded and effectively camber is neatrallised but inside tyre camber is increased thus the wear

any one with suspension/set up experience care to add to this thread:thumbs:

as we all know front drive cars technically toe out as power pulls it parallel and toe in for rear wheel where they get pushed out ,but our cars like parallel as the amount of camber alfa's inherently have to give good cornering/feel but offset of this was poor inner edge wear so specs where changed to parallel to offset this....downside of this toeing in setting is turn in is not as sharp but we all dont live on the track

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I've dropped mine with eibach, last set had bad inner wear. My problem now is finding a place to get the car on a ramp to get tracking done, cant drive up many of them :(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts