Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

It has been 21 months since I picked up my 2011 milano red 2.0 170 JTDM-2 Giulietta veloce and I still absolutely loving it!

I am though getting itchy feet and becoming tempted to sell it as 21 months is a long time for me and a car! My Audi S3 was 42 days of either complete madness (it was 300 bhp) or complete boardam when driving sensible, the car had absolutely no sole!

So rather then go back to the German camp which I have frequented many times before , I plan to stick with Alfa.

This leaves me with three options (all 2013 or newer) another 170 jtdm, 1.4 170 or the cloverleaf.

Obviously the cloverleaf is the quickest of them all, although less torque than the diesel. In real world terms does anyone have experience of all three?

I would really like to know the pros and cons on moving from the diesel to one of the petrols, I know the fuel economy will go down but are they more fun? Do they have the instant power the diesel can find? Has anyone on here made the change?

Bonus pic, the only time my Alfa has given me trouble was when the EGR cooling case cracked! Dam vauxhall part! My mates thought it was hilarious. Luckily a quick trip to pick up the part from the vauxhall dealer (nearest Alfa 50 miles away) and if was back in the road the next day.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Is there anything particularly derv that's annoying you on the car?

You've had and fixed the one major issue on the derv engine, next up is basic maintenance and wiring loom issues (which all cars get).

·
Registered
38,681 Posts
I guess it is the noise and revvyness that you miss from a petrol?

I think the EGR cooler cover is a FIat part not a Vauxhall part by the way ;)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Coming from a diesel 147 1.9JTDm to a new GQV, the difference is torque is noticeable. While the diesel seems ever keen to take off in just about any gear at low to mid range revs, the petrol GQV at a similar rev range seems like a slower and less torquey compared to the JTDm. It is only when the revs builds up, that the car comes alive and propels forward like a ballistic missile. The GQV is in it's element at higher revs, and it sounds good too. The JTDm while having amazing "pickup" and torque at lower revs, will seem a bit lethargic once the rev gets close to the 3500-4500 red line, compared to a GQV when it hits it's 6500rpm red line.

I am not sure how much improvement you would get going from a diesel G to a 1.4MA. On paper the diesel comes off better with higher torque and similar power to a 1.4MA, but then the lighter 1.4MA may give better handling with the added bonus that is does not sound like a diesel.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nothing particularly anoys me about the 170 jtdm, it goes great and I love the colour! but to be able to use it for work and claim mileage my car has to be under 6 years old.

To mix things up for my second Gulietta, I thought about getting a petrol. I am tempted to sell mine, drive our MX5 for a while so that I can search for the best giulietta.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts