Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know they are 2 very different cars, but they are the 2 cars I am considering. I know im posting this in an Alfa forum, but want your opinions! Im coming from a 147.

The Alfa is without doubt much better looking, more comfy and has a nicer interior. Although its not fast and does feel heavy (id be going for the 1.9JTDm). Id be going for a black one with a beige leather interior.

The GTI MK5 with 200bhp is much faster and more fun and I think i like the DSG box. Although looks a bit boring and Golfs are so common.

The 2 i'm looking at are the same price. Ive driven and loved both. I do a mixture of city and motorway driving. I just cant decide which one to go for, What would you have and why? (And try not be to biased!)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Buy the Golf and learn the hard way that you should have bought the Alfa. I made the mistake of buying a Mark 2 Golf GTi over an Alfa once. Although in fairness I sold the Golf a year on at the same price as I paid for it.

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
In my opinion they are totally different cars with one being a hot hatch and the other a motorway mile muncher. Depends what ur requirements are and decide which car fits best

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Two very different cars.
Two very different target audiences.
Two very different levels of performance (even if you remap the 159)
I suspect two very different levels of economy (the 159 is VERY heavy.)

If you were comparing the Golf against a remapped 1.9 16V 147 I would understand your dilemma but you need to think what you want the car for. If you want / need something like the Golf then the competitor is the Giulietta or 147.
If you want looks, something different and will live with the performance and economy hit and know you will hate it as much as you love it the 159 MUST win.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
My choice would be a 159 but it is not my choice. I think you need to go and look at both back to back if you can and get a test drive of each. Ultimately you have to live with the choice, not me :) :thumbs:

G

·
0 Posts
The Golf GTI is a great car to drive. I have test driven two, a standard and a Edition 30. I would have bought the Edition 30 on the spot but the part ex they offered me meant not. Really tough choice and one I have had to make. They are two very different cars yes but the reason I considered both is they were both good looking, practical and fast (it was a 3.2 159 I tested it against). I bought the 159 but as mentioned the Edition 30 would have been bought if a deal could have been made. Missus hated the interior on it though :lol:

I know I will be shot down here but I would go for a GTI over a 159 with the 1.9 engine.....but you must consider the 159 will be cheaper in fuel, to tax and insure, will perform well with a remap but imagine how well the GTI will perform with a remap!!! And will sound much better. I wouldn't be fussed if there are alot about. Not many cars are that exclusive really...to be fair high perfomance petrol cars are becoming the most exclusive

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
If you are being logical, the Golf. It does everything well and it looks OK. The 159 has looks on its side and is OK at everything else. The DSG 'box is a great piece of engineering and ought to tip the argument if you are undecided.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,743 Posts
I have never driven a 159; I have driven a mk5 Golf GTi, and the thing that struck me time and again about the car, is that you're getting two excellent cars for the price of one; as a hot hatch, it is terrific fun - sharp, precise and pretty quick, with meaty controls. When it's not being game on and playful, it's an excellent executive German - hushed, quiet, orderly, sensible, comfortable with a good ride. I love the way the MK5 drives, and the cards is has up sleeve (bear in mind the MK6 Golf lost the MK5's more complex rear suspension so might not be as crisp).

One thing I would point out about the Golf; I thought it was a bu55er to see out of. No matter what I did with the seat, my view out was always obscured by the thick A pillars, high waist line, or the exterior mirrors (I'm 6ft, so maybe this problem varies according to height).

I have no doubt that the Golf will meet your requirements as described. You might want to do some readings on the DSG box; I've read of a few DSG Sciroccos that had some problems (loss of power/and or gear selection). I'm not trying to scare you off DSG, but just a pointer to do some research and evaluate the risk yourself (the good cars probably far out number the problem ones, but forewarned is forearmed, or what ever the saying is!)

Hope some of this helps, and good luck with your choice either way! :)

S

·
0 Posts
Golf is the better car. 159 is massively heavy and actually really small inside given the outside size. Golf range have strong engines with decent poke and low tax. If its for low miles for a single person or two people, mainly interested in it looking nice, then 159. If used to rack up miles, carry people or children, then Golf hands down.
The turbo engine plus twin clutch box is a really good fun drive. One of the women at work has one and loves it. Can carry 2 adults and 2 grandchildren easily. And gets 30+ mph around town.

·
Vendor
45,823 Posts
If i change this thread to a Golf vs 156 as opposed to a 159,would the opinions be different...??
You could get a nice 156 GTA or a 20v diesel for a good few thou less than the cheapest MkV GTI, so I think YES you would get some quite considerably different opinions.

·
Vendor
45,823 Posts
:cool::inlove::D:):thumbs:

(I hear that phrase in my head over and over and ......:lol:)
Its worth saying that the Mk V Golf will probably drive a LOT better as standard than most GTAs for sale at the moment.

·
Registered
35 Posts
One of the women at work has one and loves it. Can carry 2 adults and 2 grandchildren easily.

That says it all for me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts